What's new

Hello from Souh Carolina!.... (1 Viewer)

barefootmule

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Welp! I finally made I guess you can say. I'm not a "huge" HT fanatic, but I do love a good home theater and my occupation has given me the privledge to see a wide array of HT systems, from all out back country "redneck" to high end custom systems found in multi million dollar homes, and then there's the internet and all it's glory of seeing other systems. But my main reason for coming here is that I have an upcoming project that will require some expert advice from the HT crowd. I guess I'm a electronic geek at heart and just don't know it, as I am a drummer and have been around the "sound/video scene" for many years, I build my own computers (not programming, just the hardware and installing programs from disc's, etc.), I have a small array of "sound and video" equipment that would probably fall under the more "redneck" side of things. I'm currently in the hunt for a decent projector that can handle being outdoors, which is a good lead in to my project.... I am wanting to build a mini outdoor multi purpose "home" theater system stage set up. One that will accomplish a few things; #1 and the most obvious is showing movies (kinda give it that drive-in theater feel). #2 be able to have a relatively small acoustic band set up where I can also video (multi camera views, etc.) and playback on the movie screen, minus the sound obviously, as the band will be playin live #3 be able to have a "little theater" stage set up for the kids and their budding acting careers, ha!, with the same option of being able to video (multi camera views, etc.) and playback on the movie screen. #4 be able to have small, 50 or less, "gatherings" (wedding receptions, youth groups, etc.) and again, record audio/video to be played back on the screen And while this may not seem HT specific, in my thinking, it requires all the components of a HT system. As for equipment.... A while back I bought an "all weather" movie screen off Craigslist (for $40, awesome deal) that somebody apparently built. It's pretty slick if you ask me though, and big too! When not in use, the bottom of the "case" closes up and keeps everything pretty weather proof. I have an older Yamaha EM 150 mixing board ($20 at an old thrift store), replaced a couple of transistors and resistors and the thing works awesome! I have a pretty decent Lenovo laptop I have a Zoom H2 for recording audio I have an older Sony Handycam that still works great And that's about the bulk of my hardware stuff, I have a wide array of cables, etc. a couple of mics, and one wireless lapelle mic. So I guess what I'm needing help with is the projector and any other ideas, suggestions, etc, to make this all possible. Keep in mind the prices I paid for my other stuff as I hate paying retail and I do favor the "redneck" side of things! hahahaha! If I could make a projector from a tin can and a candle I would! hahahaha! Lookin forward to learning and hopefully being able to accomplish what I've set out to do, but a lot of it is going to depend on the experts!!! Steve

barefootmule

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Oh, and I forgot to mention, that while money can buy quality (ie; you get what you pay for), I have also seen some "redneck" setups that would give some of the best high end set ups a run for their money. I say this to say that while I may have a "redneck" budget, I do expect a certain level of quality. I do live in reality and know that I'm not going to get a $2,000 projector for $50, but then again..... at the right place at the right time, hehe!

73shark

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc Taylor
You can get a ViewSonic Pro8100 that started at $5,000 back around 2008 for $700-$800 now. Since I own two, I can attest to its value. There are two issues and if you're interested, let me know.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Welcome aboard! There are plenty of us who are in the "bang for the buck" sweet spot in the market. You can make a truly enviable room for a surprisingly small amount of money if you put your dollars into the right spots!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks