What's new

Hello everyone :^) (1 Viewer)

Big2ue

Auditioning
Real Name
Quincy Walker
I'm a newbie to the forum but I was just wondering what you all thought about my audio selection for my finished basement / man-cave. Pioneer vex 1020k ,Polk audio cs10(center) owm3(rear and side surround) tsi100(front) and a bic v1220(sub). Is this okay to get good sound.

Big2ue

Auditioning
Real Name
Quincy Walker
I'm dealing with a medium size room and was thinking going 7.1 but don't know if it's the right thing to do or just stay 5.1. Help please!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It looks like a nice speaker system. I don't know anything about the OWM3's but I'm sure they would be fine as surrounds. The BIC sub is a good choice but we usually recommend the F-12. Not sure why but.... If you weren't aware Newegg.com has some of the best prices on Polk speakers. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008225%2050012345&IsNodeId=1&name=Polk%20Audio I'd start with a 5.1 and if you feel the need you can always add the other two later. Both of my rooms are 5.1. There also isn't a great deal of true 7.1 movies out there yet anyway.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Here's a good guide for speaker placement.

Many folks don't realize that for 5.1 systems, the surrounds should actually go to the sides (and slightly behind) the listener. The back wall is reserved for the back surrounds of a 7.1 system and the key is to have at least a few feet between the back of the seating and the rear wall. If your sofa is right up against the back wall, 7.1 is definitely not recommended.

I tend to agree with Gene. If you're starting out from nothing, it's best to start with 5.1. You will be better served by a good 5.1 system than a cost-compromised 7.1 system. It's very easy to add the extra speakers later on. Any 7.1 receiver will operate in 5.1, so if you think you'll go 7.1 later on, get a receiver that will support that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks