What's new

Hello Dolly (1969) (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So, once again, because the DVD and HD version was different (and terrible), the assumption is made that somehow the DVD or HD version was correct. It wasn't. It was dreary. Furthermore, and this is what I loathe about screen caps, the color is all yellow in these caps and it most assuredly is not on the Blu-ray.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
trajan said:
Wow- the sky is really blue on the dvd, not washed out white.
They are NOT washed out white in those scenes on the Blu-ray. Something is wrong with the caps. They are way too yellow and the disc looks nothing like those caps, sorry.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
There does seem to be blue tint on the DVD/HD caps and a yellow tint on the Blu-ray caps. I don't trust caps for there are to many outside forces involved. I also agree the Blu- Ray does not look like those caps.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
GMpasqua said:
The more i watch it the more I can see something is off, don't know if it's the contrast or the fact the whiter colors are too bright in relation to all else. Plus the color seems to have a bluish tint (very slight) not the way it was in the theater

attachicon.gif
hft collar1.jpg
left side of his collar off from rest of scene
blu-ray.com screen shots
Ummm... hello? The left side of his collar is brighter than the right side because IT'S FACING THE @%^^# STREETLAMP!!!!!!!! Geeezzzzzz!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Pennington said:
I'm very happy with how stable and detailed the image is on the HELLO, DOLLY! Blu-ray. It sure seems like the contrast and brightness levels are off compared to anything I'd ever seen before, but I've only ever seen a ratty 35mm print projected. Maybe the image is supposed to be that hot in the lighter parts of the frame. I do find the differences between this new master and a previous HD master (available on iTunes) used to make the DVD striking. There is no denying that the new master is miles ahead in clarity and detail. I know people don't like screen captures, but there is no other way for me to adequately show what I'm talking about. All were taken using VLC with the same settings. The first picture is from the iTunes HD version (admittedly compressed all to hell) and the second from the Blu-ray.
I have watched the HD broadcast and the Blu-Ray and both on a D65 calibrated system with a gamma of 2.2, the same goes for the PC monitor I am watching this on.Your caps are a good representation of the differences I was seeing between the Blu-ray and the broadcast and I leave it to others to argue about which version is more correct with regard to colors and contrast/gamma.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
OliverK said:
I have watched the HD broadcast and the Blu-Ray and both on a D65 calibrated system with a gamma of 2.2, the same goes for the PC monitor I am watching this on.Your caps are a good representation of the differences I was seeing between the Blu-ray and the broadcast and I leave it to others to argue about which version is more correct with regard to colors and contrast/gamma.
Let me get this straight - you think the yellow caps in this thread are representative of what you see on the Blu-ray? Because if that's what you're saying, I would have to retort that you did not get your money's worth on the calibration aspect of your system. The contrast is correct on the Blu-ray, but that's not what I'm talking about - I'm talking about yellow caps as compared to a Blu-ray that at no time resembles them. I really don't see what further discussion will bring to this - many of us see a beautiful image, including Mr. Harris. Others see something else - whether that's their system or their eyes, I know not.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
Let me get this straight - you think the yellow caps in this thread are representative of what you see on the Blu-ray? Because if that's what you're saying, I would have to retort that you did not get your money's worth on the calibration aspect of your system. The contrast is correct on the Blu-ray, but that's not what I'm talking about - I'm talking about yellow caps as compared to a Blu-ray that at no time resembles them. I really don't see what further discussion will bring to this - many of us see a beautiful image, including Mr. Harris. Others see something else - whether that's their system or their eyes, I know not.
The Blu-ray by itself does not really look that yellowish, it is in comparison to the HD broadcast that one can see the difference. Please note that I wrote about the differences between the two sources. I was not speaking in absolutes as this can be misleading as slightly changing around the balance between red green and blue in the picture might lead to the Blu-ray looking more or less neutral in the scenes that now tend to look a bit to the yellow side or really yellow as they seem to look on your pc monitor. And my system is fine, thank you - if everything was too yellowish then I would not have a problem with Cleopatra being too blue.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I noticed right away the first time I put in the Dolly bluray that the picture was too bright. Its odd that when I watch CLEOPATRA ----SOUND OF MUSIC-- PATTON-- none of these appear washed out. .Even LAWRENCE OF ARABIA looks fine on my Samsung.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I give up. Check your Samsung because I also have a Samsung and Dolly does NOT look too bright at any time. It looks like a glorious transfer from a large element. But the bottom line is, I haven't a clue as to how you are viewing anything or what your settings are. But apparently, Mr. Harris, myself, and many others have our settings one way, and you and others who find it "washed out" have your settings another. There can be no other explanation.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
I give up. Check your Samsung because I also have a Samsung and Dolly does NOT look too bright at any time. It looks like a glorious transfer from a large element. But the bottom line is, I haven't a clue as to how you are viewing anything or what your settings are. But apparently, Mr. Harris, myself, and many others have our settings one way, and you and others who find it "washed out" have your settings another. There can be no other explanation.
Short of all of us coming together in one room at one place we will not be able to settle this.In my experience setting contrast is one of he easiest things to do and people who are interested in correct settings can go for the usual test discs (JoeKane HD basics BR, Spears and Munsil, AVS HD 709) in order to have correct settings for it.So it is more probable that people will see very similar pictures and have a different opinion about what they are seeing than that those who say it looks too contrasty having the wrong settings, especially when many other titles look fine.And we should keep in mind that most who are not 100% happy with the transfer still like the Blu-ray enough to keep it, apparently there is enough to like even with those perceived flaws, I know that is the case for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OliverK said:
Short of all of us coming together in one room at one place we will not be able to settle this.
Perhaps, but a deep discussion would have to take place because people can still look at the same piece of art and differ on the quality of the work. Expectations and film knowledge would be the driving force in that deep discussion.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Perhaps, but a deep discussion would have to take place because people can still look at the same piece of art and differ on the quality of the work. Expectations and film knowledge would be the driving force in that deep discussion.
Very true, but I meant the question of different settings for TV's and/or projectors. It would be helpful if we could at least all look at the same screen to come to all those different conclusions and impressions ranging from I will not buy this disc and stick to the HD broadcast to this is one of the best Blu-rays of a large format movie.I have attended a number of large format film festivals for some time and part of the fun is to discuss the quality of the prints that are shown and if the discussion is civil I see no problem with that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OliverK said:
Very true, but I meant the question of different settings for TV's and/or projectors. It would be helpful if we could at least all look at the same screen to come to all those different conclusions and impressions ranging from I will not buy this disc and stick to the HD broadcast to this is one of the best Blu-rays of a large format movie.I have attended a number of large format film festivals for some time and part of the fun is to discuss the quality of the prints that are shown and if the discussion is civil I see no problem with that.
I fully understood what you meant, but I was just noting that getting all the parties in the same room to watch Hello Dolly probably wouldn't stop difference of opinions regarding the quality of this BD.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
I fully understood what you meant, but I was just noting that getting all the parties in the same room to watch Hello Dolly probably wouldn't stop difference of opinions regarding the quality of this BD.
I think it would be a lot of fun to really do this, maybe an idea for a future HT forum meet? Members revisiting the most hotly debated titles of the year :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OliverK said:
I think it would be a lot of fun to really do this, maybe an idea for a future HT forum meet? Members revisiting the most hotly debated titles of the year :)
Bring the antiseptics and bandages. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks