Hell Just Froze Over....

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Charles H, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Re: Paramount / Legend titles

For those who are not also on the CHFB board, there has been a discussion about someone finding the titles at a Target in the outskirts of St. Louis, MO. Since no one else has yet found any other Target carrying them yet, we wondered if it was a test marketing thing. I contacted Legend's marketing department and sure enough, they said it was. There are other Targets carrying them but seem to be in rural area rather than major cities. I did not find any here in Richmond, VA but was told a Target 80-miles away in Dumfries, VA is carring them. They are selling them for $9.99 each.

I think this is a bad move if they are testing obscure titles in obscure towns without any promotion. They do have a dedicated area though for these in the New Releases section.

Eric

2. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    It does state 'available at select Target stores' on most (if not all) of the titles available now when you click the 'more info' button on the Legend site.

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I believe that Trinity is a legit company. A few of their titles even have documentaries where they interview those involved in the production, including the studio execs. I doubt they could do that if they weren't legit.

One of them was about how the company that produced them was a tax shelter company, where they would fly around in planes at the end of a quarter and pick up money from companies that wanted to get rid of profits. They would then use that to finance films. The story is better than most of the films the documentary is on.

It looks like Trinity just go the rights from that company, and are releasing them.

And yes, the transfers aren't the greatest. But, since most of these are forgotten B films, they are likely to be the only way we will ever see them on DVD.

4. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

I'll let you know how it is. It was under $4.00 so I thought I would take a change, if it sucks it is not a great loss.

5. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

I ordered Won Ton Ton on Tuesday and got it Thursday. It looks decent for a film that is over 30 years old and was taken off of whatever elements were available. The fun of watching Won Ton Ton is seeing who will pop up in each scene; it is a whose-who of past movie stars. I ordered Serial and The Busy Body just now in hopes of getting them on Saturday.

6. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc

There are other companies that actually put some time and effort in looking for suitable masters for "forgotten B films". It's hard to really give much credit to a company who continually uses beat up old VHS rental tapes as their masters. If I wanted DVD-R copies of my entire VHS collection, I could do it myself.

7. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Select Target Stores...

Since I am not paying the $14.95 plus Legend's excessive shipping costs, I haven't "clicked" on any titles there recently. Wonder if Target will ship? Hmmm...

Eric

8. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham

I went to 2 Targets in suburban St Louis, Fenton and Chesterfield without finding the titles.

9. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Target online does not have any of these titles on sale.

10. RoyM

RoyM Stunt Coordinator

Good information, Eric and glad to hear someone checked. Now I won't have to knock myself out hitting all of my local Targets in a fruitless pursuit.

It does seem odd that they would TM these in out-of-the-way stores. Obviously, the majority of us won't get a crack at this batch of releases before they become regularly available, but the upside is that it may result in future Legends releases making it out into general release earlier than otherwise.

11. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Trinity Home Entertainment was recently absorbed by Canadian production outfit Peace Arch, who made CHAPTER 27 with Jared Leto and Tom DiCillo's DELIRIOUS. They also bought the Castle Hill library, so that combined with the Trinity titles gives them an instant catalog of titles and a distribution apparatus (previously, they signed with Genius for their newer productions). They have said they are looking to revisit some of these movies on DVD, so I hold hope.

I suspect that somehow they wound up with MOONLIGHTING because of Goldcrest's involvement - they seem to have inherited many movies that defunct British company produced.

12. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Second Unit

I didn't see any of these at the Clackamas, Oregon Target. In fact, their DVD selection in general was pathetic.

13. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

I receieved Moonlighting Friday; it is Anamorphic and is a decent disc. Probably the only disc we will ever see on this title. My guess is Universal no longer has rights to it. DVD Pacific has it for sale for $3.47.

14. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc

Interesting - thanks for the info. I guess Trinity puts out some decent discs after all. And the price is definitely right.

15. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

The price is right and while it isn't exactly Blu Ray quality, it looks good and is worth having.

16. Random Hero

Random Hero Second Unit

I skimmed through The Whoopee Boys and Some Kind of Hero. They look really great for their age, particularly The Whoopee Boys with all the lively colors. Both films have occasional dirt and specks on the print, but that's to be expected.

Some Kind of Hero is terrific to see in its OAR. I remember seeing it on TV and VHS, and you can especially tell the difference during the final scene with the freeze frame and the credits rolling. On the pan-and-scan version, most of the picture is cut off, looking awkward and incredibly cramped.

I'm not sure about the sound mixes. Some Kind of Hero is most likely mono 2.0, but The Whoopee Boys might be a stereo mix. I could have sworn that during the beginning scene where there's a scuffle and things knocked over, that I heard a bit of stereo separation.

Anyway, if anyone wanted to order those, I would highly recommend them.

17. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    The person in the St. Louis area found them at a Target in a town called Dardenne Prairie.

Eric

18. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I found this thread via another thread devoted to the Martin & Lewis film. Might I suggest that a mod rename it to something more descriptive so that others who might have ignored it like I did because of the original title might find it? (No offense intended to original poster.)

I've been very critical of Legend's previous molestation of B&W films. From this thread it appears they've changed their strategy and now are using their skills for more productive uses. Kudos to them. I will make it a point to check out my local Target and see if any of these titles are there. Several interest me.

19. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Deep Discount finally has the 6/3 titles listed @ $10 each. even if they don't have the 20% off sale this June, I'll still be ordering them there.

20. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Apparently the 5 films that Legend was to release this month through their website (THE MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH, PHASE IV, FRAMED, THE SENDER, and THE DEADLY BEES) will now be available at "select" Best Buy stores in July. We all remember how Universal and Best Buy endeared themselves to us with the Sci-Fi and Horror collections and their double-secret probabion marketing.