What's new

Heartbeat - UK drama series set in the 1960's (1 Viewer)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Network just released what they call a sort of forerunner to Heartbeat, the rarely seen 1969-70 series Parkin's Patch. I guess some of the people involved are more well known today than the series itself, including directors Stephen Frears and Michael Apted and actors like Peter Sallis, Gareth Thomas, Michael Elphick, Robert Urquhart and Pauline Collins.
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for posting about the series Parkin's Patch, Henry. This series I've noticed in the past few months on Amazon and Network's website. As it'a a possible forerunner to Heartbeat, I may consider getting the complete series set at some point as I like the sound of it, and as Heartbeat is a favourite series of mine I would be interested in this series.

Regarding the music substitutions in the Heartbeat boxsets (the most obvious being songs by The Beatles), they don't detract from the listening and viewing experience. Could simply be down to the music clearance costs being too high to clear them for inclusion in the boxsets. Music clearance could be easier in the UK and Austrailia, but in the case of Heartbeat, Network haven't been able to clear all the music. The first season of The Equalizer from Universal Playback certainly looks to have the music intact, but not so in Network's releases of the Heartbeat sets. It's not perfect, but then nothing in life is perfect. Either way, if I recognised or didn't recognise songs which have been replaced or substituted, it wouldn't bother me. Am satisfied with what Network have done with the Heartbeat sets released to date.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The release date for Heartbeat: The Complete Eleventh Series has been pushed back to Monday 27th August (source: Amazon UK).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The twelfth series of Heartbeat (containing episodes 199-223) has a release date of Monday 8th October (source: Amazon UK). This series, which includes the 200th episode, was the last with Jason Durr as lead bobby in Aidensfield, included the test episode for spin-off The Royal, and saw a transition with James Carlton joining the cast as new PC Steve Crane.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The thirteenth series of Heartbeat (the Steve Crane season), which comprises episodes 224-248, has a release date of Monday 26th November (source: Amazon UK).

EDIT: Network's DVD release of the thirteenth series of Heartbeat should end up being a 7-disc set like the twelfth series set, as both seasons consist of 25 episodes each.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Final front cover 3D artwork for Heartbeat: The Complete Twelfth Series (source: Play.com):

9c5e55ef_34346292_500x500_2.jpeg

Temporary front cover artwork for Heartbeat: The Complete Thirteenth Series (source: Amazon UK):

fd5830d7_71rjY-fLwOL._AA1078_.jpeg

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The fourteenth series of Heartbeat, which comprises episodes 249-274 (and includes the 250th episode) and saw Jonathan Kerrigan join the cast as the new lead bobby in Aidensfield, PC Rob Walker, has a UK release date of Monday 4th March, 2013 (source: Amazon UK). Temporary front cover artwork below (source: Amazon UK):

dartsKing

Auditioning
Real Name
Oli
Do we know if any of the series released to date contain the 10th anniversary special '10 years of Heartbeat'?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Need to double check, but yes, the 10 Years of Heartbeat anniversary special has been included in one of the 13 series/season sets released to date by Network. It's been included in the Heartbeat: The Complete Twelfth Series set.

There's one more special left to possibly be included as an extra, the Heartbeat: Christmas Album special.

ross1987

Auditioning
Real Name
Ross Robinson
Don't forget Heartbeat: Farewell Phil which should be included with Series 17.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Great news about this set coming out on DVD-wish that it could be coming out on DVD here in North America (it used to show in Canada [Ontario] on TV Ontario, and it has a number of fans here who would love to see it on DVD.)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by ross1987
Don't forget Heartbeat: Farewell Phil which should be included with Series 17.
Genuinely forgot the documentary special Heartbeat: Farewell Phil. Thanks for pointing out that this special hadn't been mentioned in this thread.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Sky Captain
Great news about this set coming out on DVD-wish that it could be coming out on DVD here in North America (it used to show in Canada [Ontario] on TV Ontario, and it has a number of fans here who would love to see it on DVD.)
Network in the UK have released up to the 13th series of Heartbeat, with the 14th series out in March.
It's a shame ITV axed Heartbeat, as I would have liked to have seen them go into the start of the 1970's. Plus, there was the cliffhanger at the end of the series finale "Sweet Sorrow" which was left unresolved.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Due to this thread about Heartbeat not being perfect, I decided not to continue updating the Heartbeat thread. Since then, Network have released up to and including the 16th series of Heartbeat (Jonathan Kerrigan's third and final series as PC Rob Walker):Heartbeat: The Complete Fifteenth Series - contains episodes 275-300 (including the 300th episode)
Heartbeat: The Complete Sixteenth Series - contains episodes 301-324.The 15th series boxset includes the TV special Heartbeat: Christmas Album.

The 17th (and penultimate series) of Heartbeat has a UK release date of Monday 28th October (source: Amazon UK and Network Releasing's website). The penultimate series (which contains episodes 325-348) sees Joe McFadden join the main cast as new PC Joe Mason.

Network are also releasing a boxset containing the first seven series of Heartbeat, called The Rowan Years - The Complete Series 1-7 on Monday 21st October (source: Network Releasing's website).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The 18th (and final) series of Heartbeat has a UK release date of Monday 3rd February, 2014 (source: Amazon UK and Network's website, and title and release date is subject to change). The final series (which includes the 350th episode) comprises of episodes 349-372, and includes a two-part story partly filmed/set in Austrailia.Also, on Amazon UK and Network's website listing pages for the Heartbeat: The Complete Seventeenth Series set, it states that the Forever Phil special is being included in the set.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ooh, nice.

I've sort of been waiting to dig into the series until it's complete on DVD. Plus, I've been waiting on prices for season 16 (and eventually, 17 and 18 after release) to drop a bit since I'm importing them to the US and have to find a seller that ships across the Atlantic, which isn't always the person selling cheapest.

I wonder if The Royal will be gotten back to and completed next?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Obsolete Man said:
Ooh, nice.

I've sort of been waiting to dig into the series until it's complete on DVD. Plus, I've been waiting on prices for season 16 (and eventually, 17 and 18 after release) to drop a bit since I'm importing them to the US and have to find a seller that ships across the Atlantic, which isn't always the person selling cheapest.

I wonder if The Royal will be gotten back to and completed next?
I'm hoping Network might be able to release the remainder of The Royal on DVD (and re-release the first two series), because apparently (read it somewhere on the web) ITV's DVD releases of the first two series of The Royal don't include the ad bumpers (which Network have included on their DVD releases of Heartbeat).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks