headphones for night listening...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KennethF, Apr 7, 2005.

1. KennethF

KennethF Stunt Coordinator

i posted this in accessories, but it may stand a better chance of being seen in here. also, i wasnt sure of which forum to use, as its not just about headphones.

anyway, heres the question...

i have a tv (toshiba 32af41), a satellite dvr (hughes hdvr2), and dvd player (sony DVPNS575P/S), in my bedroom. i am using only tv volume at present (i.e., no receiver with external speakers). i also have a wife who likes to sleep, and a bulldog who snores loudly. therefore, late night watching of tv is just not particularly enjoyable with having to balance letting the wife sleep with lowered volume, and needing to raise the volume to compensate for the bulldog's oropharyngeal difficulties.

i need a set of headphones(wireless, preferably), but im unsure how to hook them up. i would prefer to not buy a receiver just for this purpose.

is there a switcher (remote-controlled) that i can hook the audio of the dvr and dvd through, that would allow me to switch from tv to headphone volume easily? if so, how would it be connected? or do i just need to bite the bullet for a receiver to act as a switcher?

thanks for the help!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Thanks for the heads-up. I will close that other thread. Since headphones are speakers, you post about them here in the Speakers area (and not in Audio/Video Sources, where this post was first located). You are not to post the same question in multiple areas.

As for your question, there are wireless devices that will help you, but I don't have information myself. But you are not out of luck.

3. Brian Elwood

Brian Elwood Stunt Coordinator

You might want to checkout

http://www.headfi.org/

I'd stay away from wireless as you do not get the fidelity. I looked into the same question a few months ago and was steered away from wireless.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

5. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

When I was listening to speakers a few months back, the salesperson had me try out some AKG wireless headphones. While I didn't give them a critical listen, I was left with a favorable impression.

6. Craig

Craig Second Unit

While I'm not familiar with the wireless AKG headhones, I can say AKG makes very good headphones in general. I used a set of AKG headphones for many years and if I were to need headphones again I'd definitely buy another pair of AKGs.

7. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I have an RF pair of Advents that I use for the exact same thing. Its not like a high end pair of cans like the $300 sonys that I have but it does do a good enough of a job for watching TV and movies and they are very comfy and come with rechargable batteries. I think I paid $59.99 for them.

8. KennethF

KennethF Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the replies

is there any way to hook up a set of headphones to my system, wireless or wired, allowing swithching between tv and headphone volume, without having to buy a receiver? ie, the use of av switchers? such a switcher would have to have multiple outputs to accomodate the tv and headphone switching, and multiple inputs to accomodate the dvd and dvr audio.

does such a switcher exist, and is it feasible?