What's new

Headphone Jack doesn't work in Inspiron laptop (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me with a problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 and I've generally loved it. There have been a few oddities; the microphone jack stopped working a few months ago but until tonight I blamed it on my headset's microphone. Then over the weekend when I was away the internal speakers stopped working. I never really was too bothered by it until tonight. On the way out the door, I noticed the F-2 unit which the headphone jacks within had come slightly ajar. I popped it back on without thinking, but then when I arrived at my destination and started to work, the headphone jack just isn't recognized at all. Plugged in or pulled out, the sound comes only through the internal speakers. I live in close quarters with a roommate, so going without headphones is unquestionable. Is there any quick fix to get my headphones back?

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
if it's still under warranty, Dell might fix it for free. Otherwise a Cardbus sound card might give you another sound out, or even a USB sound output unit could do the same.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the information. I fully intend to make Dell fix it before the Warranty runs out, but I'm at college and didn't feel like dealing with it. In the meantime, I got an Audio Advantage Micro USB Sound Card at CompUSA for $25. It works great, and is really small; about the width of a Bic lighter and half the length. The only pain in the ass is giving up a USB slot for it. Excellent plug and play, too; just popped it in and Windows XP took care of the rest. Big thumbs up on the product:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks