What's new

headaches from DLP? (1 Viewer)

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Ray,

i had a headache, after i was done playing Halo, the first day i had my 6200...it was quite bad, i almost returned it...but the next i played halo (more than twice as long as the first day) with no problems or headaches whatsoever. i can easily play all day, and i do mean all day..with no headaches.

did you actually see rainbows? or just got a headache?

Ray Evans

Auditioning

not sure what the rainbow effect suppose to look like, but the colours seem to get really rich and in someways blur to my eye.
but i still need to try some other DLP just to make sure.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I've found casual visitors never see the rainbows. I have one friend who sees them as badly as me during white on black scenes. My fiancee sees them rarely on such scenes, generally only white text on black, and finds them not irritating for the most part.

My fiancee's parents, my other friends (5 or 6 of them), my dad, have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask.

I seriously still think major videogamers (also perhaps other people who do a lot of hand/eye coordination type stuff?) are more likely to see them. This is my unscientific observation so far.

Honestly, I got used to and tuned out most of the minor effects. It's pretty much rainbows in white (or really bright) over black (or really dark) that trouble me.

Swords/Torches in Moria, etc in LOTR are a sticking point. White text on black backgrounds. Otherwise, nada.

Artis Hall

Grip
I would agree with your assertion regarding gamers. I am a HEAVY PC gamer and am used to moving my eyes quickly across the screen. Changing this eliminates the rainbows completely for me.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
See, I think gamers have a lot of hardwired, super quick track reflex. Perhaps our eyes flicker faster across the screen to track stuff, and our brains are more trained to notice peripheral/background stuff.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

I think the way you view pictures is a big part of it, and the way I view movies is to move my eyes all around, and I am also trained via past gaming, to be able to identify all kinds of things at the perifery without looking over at them, which may be why rainbows bother me so much, I can see them in all kinds of small white objects, regardless of whether there is black around it or not. PLus I don't have a DLP, so I've not gotten used to them, or whatever you'd want to call that.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hlight=rainbow

I am actually fatigued by CRT even at relatively high refresh rates where I can't see flicker. Which is, why, against all my CRT bias, I like LCD computer monitors.

Greg Conti

Stunt Coordinator

I agree, CRTs kill me. I actually find that if I am doing criticle viewing, I will get eye/headaches with any display technology. If I sit back and relax everything except for crt is fine. When I first got a DLP pj, I would see some rainbows, but they quickly went away. I ask all my guests if they saw anything strange or expereinced any discomfort and have to get anything but no.

EdR

Second Unit
In my case, seeing refresh rate flicker on a CRT has nothing to do with DLP rainbows. I've owned an NEC LT260 FP for 1.5 years and rarely ever see rainbows (only if I try to), nor has anyone of more than a dozen friends who have visited to watch movies or HDTV.

However, I can instantly tell if I'm using a computer set to 75Hz refresh (or less). I need to have a monitor set to 85Hz in order to have a smooth image.

I also game extensively on the projector and don't have any rainbow issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks