What's new

Head units with high capacity SD card readers (1 Viewer)

James_Z

Agent
I know of maybe one or 2 that are made (JVC UK model and a double din clarion). Anyone know of a single din sized that will read high capacity mem cards? I'm sick of mp3 on DVD ..they are wayyy too delicate and i'm constantly having to add new mp3 files to the discs. this would be MUCH more easier.Surprised this concept hasnt become more poluar by now.

James_Z

Agent
i'm actually looking at it now. Theres another one up there made by XOvision (never heard of either of these). Theres a really nice one I found that is made by Clarion . It has no moving parts (not even a CD player) and I would definitely get that one. However, none of these have enough pre amp outputs. I have one 4 ch amp and one 2 ch amp so I need 3 pre amp outs. Is there any way around this? Also, is there any way of knowing if these will play high capacity SD cards? I plan on using 2 8GB SD cards.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
The VR3 has 4 L/R audio outputs and one for a subwoofer. Wil let you know when I have it installed and running.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are dozens of ways to wire up a system so yes, there are ways around this. It just depends on how you are using your amps to power your speakers. I've been contemplating putting in a 4 channel and 2 channel amp into my car but I would only need a single set of pre-amp outs. They would run into my electroic cross-over. The high pass output would go to channels 1 & 2 of the first amp which would run the tweeters in the doors. The bandpass output would go to channels 3 & 4 of the first amp which would run the mid-basses. The sub-output of the electronic cross-over would go to a 2 channel amp running a single sub(bridged) or a pair of subs (stereo).

I've looked at both SD card reader and USB capable head units. I like the USB functionality better. Yes, the SD cards are smaller but I can get a single 40GB USB drive and mount it in a the glove compartment. Just load everything I want on it and no need to keep track of little SD cards.

-Robert

James_Z

Agent

id like to try that myself. I you talking about a normal hard drive or something like a USB flash drive because i didnt think they made flash drives over 2GB. If it is a regular hard drive, wouldnt it skip and damage the drive when going over bumps? Also, how would you connect it to power it up?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
20GB USB drive - This is just one of hundreds of examples. This one gets its power via the USB connector. If you get a larger one I've even seen people create a power supply to feed the appropriate voltge to the drive. Plus these drives are mobile drives with additional shock protection. I'm sure there's a chance of problems but I wouldn't worry about them.

You need to find the max size that your head unit will accept. For example, the new Pioneers can only handle 5000 songs in 400 folders. There was a guy at one of the car audio forums that found this limit by connecting a 60GB drive.

-Robert

James_Z

Agent

So basically the only way to figure out what the head units limits are is to bring the USB drive to the store and test it out then? Id get a HU with a USB input on the back of the head unit so i couldnt even do that.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I found out the info on Pioneer receivers by reading reviews at the dozens of car stereo forums. I also read the reviews at Crutchfield.com and sometimes buy from them since they include all of the necessary installation hardware.

-Robert

yinger

Auditioning
Real Name
ying wang
You need to find the max size that your head unit will accept. For example, the new Pioneers can only handle 5000 songs in 400 folders. There was a guy at one of the car audio forums that found this limit by connecting a 60GB drive.

James_Z

Agent
I just installed the Blaupunkt St Louis model today. So far it's close to perfect. The display and file browsing is excellent. I connected a 20GB USB powered drive to the back of the head unit that I put away in my glove compt. The drive loads very quick and it doesnt even take a second when skipping files. Only complaint is a constant hiss when switched to the AUX input I have the USB drive connected to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks