HDTV'S "Yesterday's quality vs Today's quality

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by peter m. wilson, Aug 1, 2003.

1. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I think ISF'rs would be a good resource for an aticle at HDTV on this.

I was a relativly early adopter picking up a Tosh65h80 and an sd5109 progscan dvd (think it was one of the first)in OCT 2000, it was the new 2001 model. I paid about $8000cdn inc del/tx/isf and igot 4 quotes so it was pretty much as good a price as was available at the time.

We all know that prices have dropped quite a bit since then and that's good because the more people who buy the more they will be demanding HD content. The article I would like to see is about relative hardware quality between when I got mine (go even back further if it makes more sense) and what is being produced to-day.

I have a friend who is a well known ISF'r and have heard his opinion, and i think there's enough meat on that bone to make a vey interesting article.

WHADAYATHINK,
    Peter m.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A thrust for such a story would be if "early adopters" are necessarily doing the right thing buying into first- and second-generation technology.

On the other hand, I read in one magazine recently where the writer commented, while talking about Sony's most recent crop of HD-capable direct-view models, that Sony's very first 34-inch 16:9 set (from 1999) is still the best he has seen.

Either way, I think this is a good story idea. What say you, Clint?