What's new

HDTV without an HD TV? (1 Viewer)

damian p

Auditioning
Comcast is about to launch HD in my area (Santa Clarita, CA). I have a Sony WEGA 32FV26, which of course, is not HD-capable. If I were to get the HD box and use the component connection, would I get any picture at all? Any down-conversion? I know I'm not going to be buying a new TV anytime soon, but I would like to get the 5.1 audio if possible.
Thanks for any info.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Comcast does have digital audio output for non-HD digital channels in some areas. It requires a box with a coax digital audio connection, but you can get them to supply you with one if it is available. Give them a call to see if they offer it.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
You could use the S-Video or composite video output and tell the box to downconvert HD signals to 480i.

Some HD decoder boxes will also allow 480i downconversion through their component video outs. YMMV.

Dan

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
Why would you want to pay for HDTV programming when you can't benefit from it? If you want HD programming, you need to buy an HD-ready TV.

Marcel_V

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I'd say if HDTV from comcast is able to be downconverted to 480i, and retain its 16x9 aspect and 5.1, it would be a great upgrade from standard analog. If I had a regular TV, getting widescreen and the DVD quality picture would be alone worth it, not even mentioning better sound. :)

damian p

Auditioning
Marcel-

That's exactly what I'm hoping to do. Comcast told me that the HD box is only $5.00 more. That would be worth it just to get 5.1 and widescreen. I need to find out if their box will do the downconversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks