What's new

HDTV Tuner for OTA Reception (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
I am looking to buy an HDTV Tuner/Receiver for the sole purpose of pulling in Digital TV signals with an indoor antenna. I get good analog reception using a Silver Sensor UHF antenna and a Jensen TV940 VHF antenna, so I believe I will have good luck in pulling in the digital signals. Only problem is I don't know what to buy. There does not seem to be a lot of information on HDTV Tuners for OTA reception. I found some details on the Samsung SIR-T151 and I think Zenith and Sony also make similar tuners. However, I would really like to find some independent reviews or comparisons. Any suggestions on where I could look to find such information ???

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
AVS Forums has a whole section dedicated to HDTV hardware. Samsung has the 150, 151, and the 165, I think, for OTA. Zenith has a few out, too. Older model DTC-100, and I think the newew 420 and 520? I think Circuit City sells the Zenith. Best buy and sears sell the samsung. There should be some good comments for you over at AVS.

Aaron

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I believe that Samsung and Zenith are the only companies making OTA-only receivers. Sony's receivers are all OTA/satellite combos.

The Samsung SIR-T151 is a good, basic receiver. However, it is digital only (no NTSC analog tuner) and does not have a DVI digital output. You need to step up to the SIR-T165 for that functionality.

I am using a SIR-T151 with an indoor antenna (Radio Shack double-bowtie), and can pull in all Detroit-area stations except UPN. I am about 20 miles from the broadcast towers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks