What's new

HDTV through projector problem (1 Viewer)

Brendan Slagle

Auditioning
OK. I have a problem... I have an Epson Powerlite 7350 lcd projector capable of HDTV, and an HDTV Cable box with HDTV cable but I cant get from the cable box to the projector with it. The projector is a little older and has many inputs, they are as follows:

RGBHV BNC
YCbCr BNC
single RCA video input
2 VGA inputs

The cable box also has several outputs:

YPbPr RCA
DVI-D
IEEE something port
USB

Currently I am running the YPbPr RCA to BNC adapters into the YCbCr and regular cables work fine but HD channels blank out. Is it possible to get HD through the VGA input? I found a component to VGA adapter cheap. If not, what is the cheapest way to get HDTV from the box to the projector?

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
You first need to find out from your cable company if they output HDTV on anything other than the DVI-D port. Many don't because of copy protection and new boxes output on HDMI.

They MAY be able to turn on the component (Y Pb Pr) port.

This is the problem many early adopters are finding now trying to get an HDTV signal to their sets which lack the DVI and HDMI inputs. There are adapters for DVI to HDMI but if you projector doesn't accept digital inputs, then any adapter is going to produce the same blacked out result.

See what your cable company can come up with.

Brendan Slagle

Auditioning
The cable box does have HDMI out also, and does put out an analog HDTV signal through the component YPbPr. I heard that YCbCr is a digital input and is encoded differently than the YPbPr signal. I was just hoping that somebody else might have run into a simmilar problem. Is VGA a digital signal or at least capable of HDTV?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

This is correct, YCbCr is digital component video, while YPbPr is analog component video. *However!* many times equipment manufacturers mislabel their inputs outputs, so most likely the "YCbCr" input on your projector is YPbPr, they just labeled it wrong. That it's 3xBNC connectors tells me it's YPbPr, plus obviously you can see SD just fine.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
VGA is an analog RGB port. It's more or less equivalent to RGBHV-- you can buy cables with VGA on one end, and RGBHV on the other. (A few ATSC tuners--Samsung SIR-T165 for one--have VGA ports, but it's a relatively uncommon feature...) You might be able to use this HDCP compliant DVI-->VGA converter. Beats the hell out of me how dtrovision plans to retain a hdcp license, but hey...

The manual did imply that you can set you projector to either automatically detect the video format, or to only display a single format. The setting looks like it's in the Advanced menu, under "Video Signal". Try setting it to Auto, if it's not already

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't find out how you choose what output resolution you want from the Dtrovision gadget. From the physical size of the gadget I am guessing it delivers only regular VGA (640 x 480) regardless of the input (up to 1600 x 1200 non-interlaced or 1920 x 1080 interlaced). HDCP protected source material may be output as analog downconverted to 480p format within the HDCP compliant specs.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks