What's new

HDTV Receivers & other questions???? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Marty Troum
I am interested in getting HDTV signals (South Florida) and haven't decided on service. Should it be VOOM, DirecTV, "Off-Air", or combinations of above? Cable company (Adelphia) is poor source for programming at present and the projections are bleak. Also, what is a good HDTV receiver (Hughes, Sony, LG, etc.)? I have a dedicated home-theater/music room and a Hitachi 51" HD-ready RPTV. What are the characteristics for which I should be searching in this quest? Thanks for your responses.
Marty

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
If DirecTV offers local channels in your area, I'd go with them all the way. I really enjoyed their service when I lived down there.

OTA is also a great thing to have if you want to go that way.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Enter your zip code and other info into that website and it will tell you what you can get, HD wise, in your area and what kind of antenna you would need. DO NOT GO CABLE!!!!

OTA + DirecTV would be a killer combo for you. Look into it! OTA is a bonus if DirecTV offers local channels in your area, however, this also opens you to being able to use PIP on your TV. It's a hell of a combo.

All of those receivers you named are good.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Look at the programming packages from each provider. Pick the one that fits your needs. Then look at equipment. Are you interested in PVR's or just watching live TV? Are you in this for the long haul or do you jump around from sat to cable every year?

Everyone is different and has different priorities. I'll be a DirecTV customer as long as they support the DirecTivo. It has changed the way I watch TV and there is no going back to changing my life to fit a network schedule. Others may have different opinions.

-Robert

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I'm not sure where your at or what you need but I didn't like Voom because they don't offer any Spanish channels. I looked at Dish because you can run 2 rooms from one reciever which means less $$ for my 6 rooms.

Real Name
Marty Troum
Spoke to the DirecTV folks about the Hughes HR10-250 (at $1000) and using it for my home theater setup. They will include it in their multi room packages by merely adding the $1000 to the price of the package. Since installation is included with the package, I thought that the extra money for the Hughes from DirecTV was worth it. For OTA reception they offer the Terk TV44 clip-on antenna for $80. What are some other alternatives for OTA antennae? The clip-on aspect is very appealing, since I live in a community governed by a Homeowners Association. I went to antennaweb.org and that wasn't much help in identifying an antenna...only the color of the code to use in searching for an antenna. My zipcode shows lots of yellow possibilities. Now what??? Thanks again for the responses...the more, the merrier...so please offer your opinions freely. Thanks.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
RobertJ: That comment about the antenna made me LMAO for real! That's so true!

Now, don't you HAVE to have some big outdoor antenna, though, to really get anything worthy?

That FCC link is helpful! I have saved that to my Favorites folder, in case I ever need it!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is correct. I'm going to try my Radio Shack double bow tie outside. I get decent reception from 22 miles from the broadcast tower but I think it will improve if I can get it above the small hill behind my house.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks