What's new

HDTV on CRT'S how clear can it get (1 Viewer)

Jessie_

Grip
Hi i was wondering how can i get my SONY REAR PROJECTION CRT BIG SCREEN to look with a awesome picture, i only have with this big screen tv about 2 1/2 years. What suggestions are out there.

Thanks
Jessie

John S

Senior HTF Member
What model? And what souces do you want a clear picture from?

If it isn't HD, or at least able to take 480p(ED) over component from a DVD Player or HD Tuner of some sort, then there isn't much you can do really.

480i(ED) on screens much over the 40" size really show the limited number of SD scan lines, it really can annoy me.

Most HD Displays made in the last few years will line double / provide progressive scan for all sources. This helps a lot with SD material for sure.

Jessie_

Grip
MY SONY MODEL IS SONY KP 65WS500 TV. It would be great if i can make it look better.

Thanks
Jessie

John S

Senior HTF Member
Ok, This is a good rated widescreen HDTV....

For DVD make sure your using Component Video Cables for the connection. Try setting your DVD player for a 16:9 TV and turning on Progressive Scan. Put in a Anamorphic widescreen DVD, and it should look wonderfull.

SD sources will never be great at best you can make them watchable. Most times it looks bad because the signal is bad, and large HDTV's reveal this much better than smaller screen sizes do.

I hope that helped some???

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Get a copy of Digital Video Essentials, set your TV to movie mode (which should set the color temperature to 6500K), then set the color, tint, brightness and contrast using the test patterns on the disc. Also, check your convergence of the guns, you may have to set each video mode separately. When I first received HD, the convergence of the HD picture was way off.

If you like tweaking, get the service manual for your set, then you can make adjustments to overscan and can center the picture using horizontal and vertical size adjustments, which should be easily accessible via a service menu.

The only thing that is difficult to do yourself is have the the CRTs mechanically focused, or have the gray scale adjusted. To do this, you may consider dropping some (big) money on an ISF calibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks