HDTV for $1000

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bryan X, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

A buddy of mine wants to jump into HDTV. He's doesn't want to spend more than $1000. He's not 'in to' home theater like us here, and would just like a TV that's going to give him a very nice picture for his price.

He's looking at an RCA hd52w59 (52inch) CRT rear projection that is $999.00. He asked me if it was a decent set. For his needs I didn't see anything wrong with it but would like the opinions of those here.

I searched the internet but didn't find any useful information on this model. I guess my questions are:

Is this a nice TV for the average person who isn't deeply into home theater like we are?

Are there any known issues with this TV (like the evil POP on some Panasonics)?

Is he going to be able to get anything better for $1000? (he really doesn't want to spend a dollar more)

Thanks!

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Akai, Walmartr has a brand, and don't forget Sams or Costco have some closeouts for pretty cheap.

3. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Wal-Mart on clearance is actually where he saw this RCA. Haven't checked Sam's yet.

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

He probably won't go wrong with either sets, but I have to admit when I first jumped into HT I started with something small and insignificant and after a while I craved for the best and it took a while but I'm at the point of satisfaction. The reason why I raise this is perhaps if your friend goes for something better and be content for a few years.