What's new

HDTV calibrations (1 Viewer)

allan espinoza

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have used the sound and vision dvd set up disc to calibrate the video on my television, but why are hd movie channels black levels so dark? I always have to turn up the brightness on my t.v cause its too dark, especially if it is a horror movie or a night scene. Another thing, is it normal on hd channels to have those motion artifacts, I think that's what they are called, like small squares or as if the picture gets broken up or something, it usually happens when there is a lot of movement like an action sequence, could it be my tv that does not do hd that well or could it be the hd provider which is comcast.
I have a sony kv-36hs420 in case you need to know, thanks

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Allan, no it's not normal, and I would say it's the cable company's fault. You have to calibrate HD channels separately from SD channels. Most people would kill for darker black level, especially with LCD TV's or projectors. Are you sure contrast and brightness are set right, can you save 2 sets of settings on your TV?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

HD signals typically need their own special calibration. YOu would need HD test signals to accomplish this ...

Although in general, even with real HD test signals, the end result is still too dark for the real broadcasts ... meaning the stations are not playing by the rules ... (big surprise)

Regards

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

An HD signal generator ... ($1299 min)

Conversely, you can send the SD test signals through an upconverting DVD player that sends out 1080 or 720 ... and that will help ... although far from perfect ...

Can also get DVE in the DVHS format as a test source.

On Satellite ...HDNET actually shows test patterns at a certain time of day I think ...

Regards

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
According to their website, Comcast has INHD.
INHD tune up is run every Satruday at 7am Eastern, 4am Pacific. I have to get up really early to watch it, in your shoes, I might be temped to stay up really late instead.

Meanwhile, the motion artifacts are, I think, a function of cable over-compressing the feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks