HDTV and lip sync

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Doug Smith, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

In my area, often when watching the HDTV channels, the sound and the lips are out of sync.(the sound is a split second behind) It reminds me of watching some of the old B grade Japanese flicks. What's the reason for this?

2. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

I've noticed this occasionally on ABC. In particular, their Saturday night movies.

3. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

Have to report the same here. ABC in San Francisco is often noticably out-of-sync. The same station also is plagued with a frequent ticking sound (subtle, but annoying) through much of it's programming, at least that's what I've found.

No idea what the cause of the problem is.

4. Douglas*A*R

Douglas*A*R Stunt Coordinator

It might be due to something called multi-path. As I understand it, that's where a signal is sent directly from the transmitter to your antenna, but is also reflected by some object(s) so that the same signal arrives a split second later. Several things can cause it, like hills, high-rises, airplanes, etc.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I don't think so, Douglas. I have HD over cable and I encounter the same problem on ABC in Lafayette, IN. Must just be an ABC thing.

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

7. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I've noticed the same thing, but with Standard Definition TV on a FOX affiliate.

8. Douglas*A*R

Douglas*A*R Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, I'm stumped then. I don't know much about the multi-path phenomenon, but I thought I'd just throw it out there as a possibility.

Have you called your cable company and/or local station(s) about the problem?

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

10. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

I have the same problem with out of sync audio but I have not correlated it with specific channels. It occurs somewhat randomly for me on just about any station. I have a digital high def cable box (Time Warner) and an NEC HT1000 front projector. I do not notice it on my CRT Toshiba that is digital cable from the same feed but not a high definition box.