HDTV and Cable

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Derek_OC, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Derek_OC

Derek_OC Extra

I am planning on getting a new tv soon and can't decide between HDTV and regular analog. I am stuck living in an apartment for atleast the next 2 years and all i can get is cable tv. Sorry to sound like an idiot but can you get cable broadcast in HDTV? If not should i just get a regular analog tv until i move out and can get satelite or still go the HD route? Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Derek

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Depends on your cable provider. Call the provider and ask if the company sends HD signals through its digital cable box.

BTW, if there are no buildings obstructing the correct portion of the sky (southerly), you can opt for DBS. Federal law prohibits apartment managers and landlords from preventing you installing a dish.

3. Derek_OC

Derek_OC Extra

Thanks for the fast reply. I called up and they don't send anything HD yet but they said they are working on it and will be in the near future. I would be able to get a dish probably the way everything here is set up but then i would have to give up my cable modem so i'll probably just end up going with the HDTV and just waiting for them to send the signals.

Thanks again,
    Derek

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Or you could opt for OTA high-def signals. After all, they're free!

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Derek_OC

Derek_OC Extra

Yeah i can't get OTA signals as it is here. I have decided to go for an HDTV. I just can't see spending around a thousand dollars for a tv that i am not going to want in a couple years, when i can get one for 2000-2500 that will last me and not be out of date in a couple year....well who knows about that i guess. Anyway thanks again everyone.

Derek