What's new

HDMI with no sound (works for one TV, not the other) (1 Viewer)

jayr4410

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
I have three TVs.

TVs:

Sony 40" KDL-40V2500

Sony 40" KDL-40W4100

Sony 52" KDL-52W4100

Cablebox:

Scientific Altlanta Explorer 4250 HDC

When using a HDMI cable from the cablebox to each TV, I get following:

KDL-40V2500 - sound and video

KDL-40W4100 - only video, NO sound

KDL-52W4100 - only video, NO sound

When bypassing the cablebox and directly connecting the coaxial cable, I get the following:

KDL-40V2500 - sound and video

KDL-40W4100 - sound and video

KDL-52W4100 - sound and video

I have tried 3 different HDMI cables (2 from Belkin, 1 Radio Shack) and all the HDMI connections on the W4100 series TVs and still get the same result.

Sony support has reccomended service for them, but I can't help but feel there is some obscure setting that is preventing the sound from being heard.

I have verified that the cablebox is set up correctly and the HDMI cable is good because sound and video work for the KDL-40V2500. I find it hard to believe that BOTH (the 40" and 52") happen to have issues with their HDMI connections (unless there is an issue with all W4100 series).

Anyone ever seen this before?

filterguy

Auditioning
Real Name
vin
I am having the same problem. I just bought a KDL-52W4100 and cannot get sound when hooking up with HDMI. Did you find out how to solve this problem?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
There's probably a setting somewhere in the tv's setup menus, to tell the tv you're using HDMI for audio and video. Owner's manual should say something about this. Have you checked the troubleshooting guide in the owner's manual?
Just don't know what else it could be. Sorry...........
Good luck!
EDIT:
I went back and reread the post. It works when you bypass the cable box. So, it's something to do with the cable box. I heard awhile back that some cable boxes had a "handshake" problem, with some tvs. This may be that problem.
Ask the cable company to switch out the box for another one. Explain how bypassing the box makes things work right, so it must be a box problem. Something worth trying.........

jayr4410

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Haven't resolved the issue yet because I have been busy with closing on a new home. TV is at new location where I will have a different cable company with (I would guess) a different cable box.

In response to Ed's response:

Yes, it does work when I bypass the cablebox. However, AUDIO and video both work through the HDMI when it is connected to the V2500 series. As a result, I figure I can't blame the cablebox because I have proved that it is sending audio and video.

I have been all over the place with the menus, manuals, Sony's troubleshooting guide, Sony's chat support, and Sony's email support. They all just pointed to a canned response which did not resolve my issue.

Your theory about there not being a cooperation between the two devices seems like a possible theory. I'll update this post when I get my cable installed tomorrow.

filterguy

Auditioning
Real Name
vin
hey thanks for the updates. I had a new cable box installed and still the same problem. The HDMI works when used with my Samsung LCD, but not the Sony. I am just using the component cables. Does the HDMI really make a difference in picture?

jayr4410

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Here's the update I promised:
They did not have the HDMI cableboxes with them (as is always the case because they do not like to give them out). They will be coming out again this upcoming Friday (11/28).
Response to filterguy:
HDMI cabling is the bonus, 1 instead of 5, and the quality is subjective, see link:
DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component Video -- Which is Better?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ed Moxley said:
EDIT:
I went back and reread the post. It works when you bypass the cable box. So, it's something to do with the cable box. I heard awhile back that some cable boxes had a "handshake" problem, with some tvs. This may be that problem.
Actually Ed, you initial suggestion was most likely the correct one. The audio works when the cable box is removed and the cable is plugged directly into the TV. No hdmi involved.

filterguy

Auditioning
Real Name
vin
I called and scheduled an appt. with a Sony service tech. However, before my appt. Sony had a rep call and they said that it isn't the HDMI that doesn't work; it is the cable box. I guess that the Scientific Atlanta and Fisher brand are known not to work with this tv set. I connected another HDMI capable source as the tech suggested to see if the HDMI would work that way; and it did work. So, I am guessing that it must be the cable boxes themselves.

jayr4410

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
I have found success! However, I don't know why!

I received the HDMI cableboxes from the new cable company this past Friday and both work with the Sony W4100 series TVs. It is the same model cablebox as the previous one that did not work properly with the W4100 series.

In summary, here's what happened:

While at "POINT A" location, I had the following:

3 TVs

Sony 40" KDL-V2500

Sony 40" KDL-W4100

Sony 52" KDL-W4100

1 cablebox

Scientific Atlanta 4250 HDC from COMCAST

... and here's what I got when using the HDMI cable from the cablebox:

Sony 40" KDL-V2500 - audio and video

Sony 40" KDL-W4100 - video only

Sony 52" KDL-W4100 - video only

Then I moved 40 miles away to "POINT B" leaving one TV behind and changing cable companies. I now had the following:

2 TVs

Sony 40" KDL-W4100

Sony 52" KDL-W4100

1 cablebox

Scientific Atlanta 4250 HDC from CABLEVISION (OPTIMUM)

... and here's what I got when using the HDMI cable from the cablebox:

Sony 40" KDL-W4100 - audio and video

Sony 52" KDL-W4100 - audio and video

I never strongly investigated the cablebox as being an issue since both audio and video worked on the V2500 series. However, the cablebox was definitely the issue since I get audio and video on the W4100 series with the new cablebox. I really don't think it was a setting that I missed and suspect more that the new cablebox has some updated firmware. However, I am human (and sometimes a stupid one) so I will try to get the firmware versions of both cableboxes.

jayr4410

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Anyone know how to get the firmware/software version from the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250 HDC cablebox? I couldn't find anything.

rengawkf

Auditioning
Real Name
Karl
I had the same issue. Assumed it was a software conflict with my SONY and the Scientific Atlanta box I called the provider Charter. Here was the solution.
On the Provider Remote:
Select: MENU click it 2 times
- Quick Settings Menu
- Select "YELLOW "A" button- "More Settings"
"Preferences" Menu
Scroll down to: "Audio Digital Output"
Select - "HDMI"
Good to go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads