What's new

HDMI Theatre question. (1 Viewer)

Indyrams91

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I have an infocus projector and I am aware that I need a "female" DVI plug to go into the male one on the projector.
Is there a way to conenct the Female DVI plug to an HDMI cord?
I need the HDMI cord to go into my DVD player.
Thanks.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You can get an HDMI to DVI cable fairly cheap. See here:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2405&seq=1&format=2
You can get different lengths. The one I've linked to is 10 ft.
Good luck!

Indyrams91

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Thank you, I did just that I bought this DVI to HDMI adapter and it hooks perfectly to my projector but when I plug it all up it still doesnt work...
Unless i am doing something wrong maybe?
:/

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Did you setup the dvd player to output by HDMI?
I've no experience with a projector, so I don't know if you have to do something in it's setup menus, to let it know you're using the DVI. Maybe it automatically detects it?

Are you using an A/V receiver? If so, does it have HDMI connections? What make and model is it?
If not, it's got to be something simple, unless something is wrong with the projector or dvd player.

Indyrams91

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Yea I've set the DVD player input to HDMI mode and it still says to change the tv to HDMI mode.
My Projector doesnt have HDMI, only DVI.
Maybe My projector has to be turned on DVI mode.
I wouldnt think so since the projector is only used to show the images(I think) and the DVD player is for the settings and such..

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yea I've set the DVD player input to HDMI mode and it still says to change the tv to HDMI mode.

I assume you mean you've set the DVD output to HDMI mode, as I've never seen a DVD player with an HDMI input. I'm not being a wiseguy (or not entirely.) It is very important when connecting devices to keep track of the signal path - what information is going from where and to where. Probably 90% of the installation problems I've seen involve someone connecting an input to another input or to an output. It is surprisingly easy to do if you don't constantly visualize how the signal is running from point "a" to point "b" like water through a garden hose.

Maybe my projector has to be turned on DVI mode. I wouldnt think so since the projector is only used to show the images (I think) and the DVD player is for the settings and such...

No, each device has settings of its own that work independently of other components. Certainly your projector needs to be set to the DVI input and that input has to be activated (if turning it off is an option) before you'll see a signal being sent from the DVD player. The DVD player doesn't "control" the project, and the projector doesn't know or care that a DVD player is connected to it. It just displays whatever signal is coming in via the DVI input, whether from a computer, a DVD or Blu Ray player or some other device. (Provided the DVI input is enabled and selected.)

Regards,

Joe

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
You'll need to connect to the projector using its component input.

HDCP (the HDMI encryption standard) requires that the device that the encrypted signal is being sent to also support that encryption. DVI does not. As a result, most HDMI systems will simply refuse to generate HDMI output when driving a DVI device.

Users who are viewing this thread