What's new

HDMI switcher (1 Viewer)

Maness57

Auditioning
Real Name
Parker
Hi, I'm new to the forums and have some video/ tech knowledge.

So here is my situation:
I have an Xbox, stereo, and TV.
I want to split the Xbox's HDMI so i have one going to through the stereo (and then to the tv), and one straight to the TV. i know that i'm going to need a 1 in, 2 out splitter, but i dont know if i will need a switchable one.

I want to be split so i can listen to music/ radio via stereo and play Xbox at the same time.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Depending on what AVR you have(which is???), you won't need all that.

Also, you'll lose 5.1 sound using a splitter cause the TV being 2.0 will dumb the audio down the AVR gets.

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff
Hey Schan, I think he wants to use two different HDMI inputs on the TV, when he's using the direct one from the Xbox, he can listen to anything else and when he's not, he'll get the5.1 from the Xbox. (At least that's my understanding) :P

Maness57

Auditioning
Real Name
Parker
HotRodGuy is correct. And also, what is an AVR?
Also, there are 2 or 3 inputs on the tv

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Won't make any difference. A splitter is "live all the time". So the TV dumbs the audio down, period.

But, he might try a HDMI switch wired backwards...but have no idea if that even works. It would solve the 2.0 problem...provided switches work in reverse.

Maness57

Auditioning
Real Name
Parker
If it doesnt need to be switchable, than i can get one from amazon or ebay for less than $10

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Again...Third time might be the charm...A splitter into your TV dumbs the audio down to 2.0, period...end of discussion.What AVR do you have?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
On that AVR, you can send an alternate audio into the CD input as analog, optical or digital coax...as long as there is no video connection assigned as well.

So, pick your HDMI...then pick CD. Then you are watching your game...listening to something else. No, the AM/FM tuner is not one of those things(not many AVR do that at any price).

Maness57

Auditioning
Real Name
Parker
Thanks for all of your time, help, and patience so far.
How do I select Game Hdmi while im on CD?
I get sound, but no video

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You do it the "other" way...

Choose your video source(Game) then choose CD.

If that doesn't work...then I don't know what to tell you, cause I've never had an AVR that wouldn't do that. But, I've never owned an AVR that didn't have an original price below $800(most of them were $1200+).

My "lowliest" AVR at the moment is an Onkyo TX SR707. I play Wii while listening to CDs all the time. I've had Denon(4), Yamaha(2) and Panny/Technics(3) and all them and my current 4(technically 5...have a Denon 4000 something collecting dust in a closet) AVR all do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks