What's new

HDMI out of a HDPC, does it carry Audio? (1 Viewer)

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
Well that's pretty much my question. If you get a video card that has HDMI, will it carry an audio signal? I guess the first question I should ask is can you get a video card that has HDMI, or is it only DVI converted to HDMI?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You can get a card with HDMI, but they're still pretty expensive and you don't have too many options to pick from. I do not think they have include the audio signal, but I'm not sure.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Googling seems to indicate that some do support audio through the HDMI connection, although there may be gotchas. The drivers may only work in Vista. The drivers might clobber your regular audio drivers. You may have to connect the S/PDIF out from your audio card into the video card. So definitely investigate the card that you're considering carefully.

El Gordito

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Hello all I am new here, but this is the same thing that I am working on today. From what I have found so far is the HDMI (the video card also has 2 DVI outputs on it as well) output on my video card does not send any sound to my receiver, but it sends picture. I had anticipated this when I put together my computer, so when I picked a sound card I got one with an optical output for sound.

Now what I have is 2 cables, one tosslink and one HDMI that are running to my receiver then then receiver dumps picture to the T.V. and does sound as well.

Like I said i all of my cables arrived this afternoon and I haven't had too much time to play with the settings on my computer. I will keep you all updated on how it works and will let you know if I find a way to get my video card to produce sound. (I don't think that it is possible, but it would be a waste of a HDMI cable because HDMI is capable of carrying digital sound)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Actually, I just bought a Powercolor Radeon HD4830 with HDMI out for $64 AR. The HDMI works fine on an HDMI TV. I have yet to try if it will output 7.1 sound to a receiver however.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I just bought a Gforce 9400 and it has a slot on it to attach the audio from your sound to it fir the HDMI. I have not tried this because it is on my kids game PC, but it seems to be pretty clear that the HDMI would carry audio.

Meanwhile, my laptop has HDMI video only.

I would suggest you download the manual for any card you want to buy and see if it includes a connection to your audio for HDMI.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Haven't tried it on my HT yet but when I got the card, I downloaded Realtek HDMI audio drivers for it. I just have to choose the audio out from Realtek HD audio out to Realtek HDMI audio out. No connections needed, not even a reboot of the machine.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400XT that has a DVI to HDMI dongle that passes both audio and video to my Panasonic plasma just fine. I have yet to try to hook it up to a receiver to see if it passes the DTS and Dolby HD audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks