What's new

HDMI or DVI??Help (1 Viewer)

Stefan_H

Auditioning
Hello.
I am going to purchase a 720p or 1080p projector, but am waiting a few months till they come down in price abit.
Till then, I am wiring my home theater and want to make sure I run all the proper cables to the projector.
I will purchase a PS3 (as my bluray player) when they come out, and want to make sure I have the proper cables for it.
I am confused to if I should use an HDMI or DVI cable.
If DVI, should I use DVI-I or DVI-D?
Are'nt HDMI cable useless for projectors, because HDMI has both audio and video signal, while a projector only needs the video signal and the audio would need to go seperatly to an audio reciever.
If so, can I get a splitter for an HDMI cable, so that I can run seperate video to the projector and audio to the audio reciever?
I currently have a VGA cable (will this support up to 1080p?) component video cables (which I understand will only play a scaled down version of 1080p if hollywood gets its way)and RCA, Coax and Svideo (which are all outdated by now)

I would like to add either a HDMI or DVI cables to my collection so that it will work with my PS3 or bluray player. Which type do I purchase and what accessories or adaptors do I need to make this work for my projector and audio reciever?
I understand my Projector must have HDCP if I want to use DVI, (I am looking at an Optoma HD72, its only 720p but a great bargain) and it has HDCP, but will bluray players/ps3 have both DVI and HDMI outputs? And again, do I use DVI-D or DVI-I?
Thanks in advance for your advice, I've long been confused by this issue, and need to be set straight about it all.
Thanks guys
Stefan

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
The way I understand it the PS3 will have 2 HDMI outputs and a hookup for additional Audio/Video outputs similar to what they PS2 has.
I'd use HDMI cables to the Projector. DVI will convert to HDMI and vice versa. If you have a video source that only has DVI out you can convert that to HDMI and use another audio source. You cannot split the signal on an HDMI cable. If you have a reciever capable of switching HDMI it will pull the sound out and send the picture on to the projector.
True the sound in the HDMI cable is wasted to a projector, but that doesn't hurt anything. I'd look for HDMI to become a high standard very soon. Pure digital for everything.
The difference between DVI-I and DVI-D is what type of signal it will carry. DVI-D will only carry Digital signal and will only hookup to D input, where I will carry both digital and analog and I believe hook up to both.
here is a pretty good description for you.
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...al%20Interface

In short, keep the Component cable running to your projector, along with either an S-video or Composite video and definitely an HDMI cable.
Component for the HD that is not in digital format, HDMI for most everything else and the reg SD Analog for the occasional extra item or PIP or POP.

edit: make sure every component you get is HDCP compliant. I know it sucks, but if one peice isn't, your whole system could suffer.

Stefan_H

Auditioning
I have a projector.
How can I use a HDMI cable for this? HDMI is both audio and video. My projector only needs video.
The audio needs to get to my reciver somehow, so can I get a splitter to split the audio signal from the HDMI cable?
Or do I just use a DVI cable?
Do I use DVI-I or DVI-D cable? Whats the diff?
I need to get full 1080p, so component is not an option.

Thanks
:)
Stefan

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
Depends what you're using for a source. If it's an upconverting dvd player with an HDMI output and your projector has a DVI input, use an HDMI to DVI adapter and an optical or coax audio cable to your receiver for sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks