What's new

HDMI input/output on AV Receiver (1 Viewer)

Stephen DeMarco

Auditioning
I am wondering why you would run an HDMI wire from, say, your DVD player, to a receiver with HDMI input, then output that to a HDTV. I thought that you get a cleaner picture by running it from any HDMI source strait to the HDTV. I also thought that there would be a better upconverter or deinterlacer in the t.v. than in the receiver. Even if there is not, why would you spend twice the money to run two HDMI wires for output/input to the receiver then again to the HDTV?

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor

I have the Denon AVR-4306 with 3 HDMI Inputs, and I am very glad I have it. DirecTV HD TiVo, HDMI DVD Player, and space for the PlayStation 3 whenever that comes out. Also, if your source material is already sent to the receiver at the desired resolution, it doesn't matter what kind of upconverter/deinterlacer is in your receiver or your television.

It's not "twice" the money, either, if you have more than one device. It's only one extra cable. Convenience is worth the extra money to some people, myself included.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
If you only have a single HDMI source to route to the TV then there's no reason. The reason is to be able to switch between several HDMI sources if your TV has only one DVI/HDMI input.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Short answer: Many people only have one HDMI / DVI input on their display and more than one HDMI device they want to hook up to it.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I think some newer receivers and pre-amps convert everything to HDMI. Therefore you could connect your VCR and Laserdisc or anything else you have to your receiver/pre-pro and have just the one output to the display/tv.

Robert Ham

Agent
The YAMAHA RX-V2600 will take Analog inputs and convert them to 1080i and output that on the HDMI output jack that ten feeds your HDTV set. Nice feature and works great! ;) ;) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks