What's new

HDMI: How important is it? (1 Viewer)

OverKnight

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Hello, everyone.

I'm considering the purchase of the Yamaha YHT-380 home-theater-in-a-box system. I'm new to the home theater field, but in the many reviews of the various systems I've seen, all reviewers cite the lack of a HDMI connection to be a fairly significant drawback, and this system does not have a HDMI connection. How important is this feature? The television and DVD player I currently have do not have this connection either, although the TV is due to be upgraded in the near future.

Also, can anyone offer an opinion about this system?

Thank you.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
For most "HDMI receivers," it's largely a convenience factor. Hit one button on the receiver, and the video and audio are switched.
You can fake hdmi switching with a suitably capable universal remote.

More sophisticated receivers can decode the audio component of HDMI, and that will open up your options if you ever get a HD-DVD or Bluray player. (the HD-A2, for instance, does not have multichannel audio outs-- you can however, still listen to TrueHD soundtracks in all their glory, if you have a receiver capable of decoding HDMI audio)

Echo42987

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
I don't think it's important but it's available on almost everything now-a-days.

I stick to Component and Optical still due to the fact that HDMI is still iffy. But when trying to get a full 1080p HDMI is very important due to the fact that most players don't output 1080p via Component cables.

-Nick-

OverKnight

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Thanks, Nick and Jeremy. I'll move the HDMI factor down on my list.

I'm going to buy the Yamaha YHT-380 system; Amazon has a pretty good deal on it right now. Does anyone here have this system?

Thanks again.

- Jim

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
HDMI can be your best friend and worst enemy.

It's a fantastic way of combining audio and video into
a single connection. However, I have had so many handshaking
issues (meaning the HDMI signal needs to handshake with
both components properly) that I find it to be rather a nuisance
from time to time.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jim, honestly, if you are looking into HTiB level systems, I think hdmi switching should be low (probably nonexistant) on your priority list. If you get an hdmi capable TV, and then some hdmi capable player, you can just hook the hdmi video directly to the TV. The thing you won't be getting is high res audio, but no HTiB could use it anyway. Later on, if you significantly upgrade your audio system, then hdmi would be important and thhe handshaking issues would probably be cleared up more by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks