What's new

HDmi Digital Sound Problems.... Please Help. (1 Viewer)

boosted_blazer

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Ok, here is the products I am using.

DVD Player - Panasonic DVD-S52
TV - Hitatchi 55VF820
Receiver - Harmon/Kardon AVR 520

The problem that I am encountering, is when I run HDmi out from the DVD player into the TV, then optical out from the TV to the receiver, the receiver will not recognize the audio as digital, therefor it only plays 2 channels.

Now if I run a Optical directly from the DVD player to the Receiver there is no problems.

I also have Digital Cable with HD, and the receiver see's the digital signal from that, it uses the same Optical out on the TV as the DVD player would.

DVD to TV via HDmi
Dig Cable to TV via HDmi
TV to Receiver via Optical cable

There is only 1 optical out on the TV, and the receiver see's the digital signal from the cable, but not when I watch dvd's.... what is the problem?

All settings on everything are to digital no PCM.

Thanks in advance!

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien
You say: "Now if I run a Optical directly from the DVD player to the Receiver there is no problems.", so?

Your receiver should have several optical cable inputs to take care of your DVD, STB and others. Your STB audio should be set to Dolby Digital and your DVD player to Bitstream. When using your a/v receiver, your TV speakers should be set to OFF.

boosted_blazer

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Do you think if I turn the TV speakers off that it might correct the problem? Or am I better off just going directly to the receiver from the DVD player?

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien

Run the digital connection directly to the a/v receiver.

For your STB, if you can set the audio to "Dolby Digital" that would send the Bitstream to the receiver (instead of PCM and 2 channel Stereo).

As for an HD DVD player, if you have one, in the player, set HDMI to PCM and connect HDMI to the receiver, if you have inputs/output there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks