What's new

HDMI cables for 60Hz/120/240? (1 Viewer)

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I have a Samsung A750, and bought an in-wall 1.3 rated HDMI cable from Monoprice.com. I never looked at the transfer rate thinking it didn't matter, since nothing is broadcast in 120 or even 240 yet anyway,so why the difference?
My brother, trying to up one on me, just purchased a 52" B750 with 240Hz and wanted to know if he now has to buy a High, Advanced, or Ultra speed rated cable.

My Brother was at best Buy and the dude told him to get the highest Speed Monster Cable for the most high Definition possible. 4' for 150.00!!!!!! R U CRAZY :headb:

I just bought the 1.3 in-wall rated HDMI not knowing any difference.

He was also looking at BluRay Players, maybe that's why the speed differences,since I think that's where you might see the Hz resoulution kick in.

My TV is fine. I have no issues with my HDMI or the Sony BD-P350,but maybe I should take another look in case i'm not getting all the bells and whistles I should with my normal HDMI cable.

Thank you.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Don't spend the money.

Look at the specs. 60/120/240 on the display has nothing to do with the transfer rate between the source and the display.

Actually I'm pretty sure that you could not tell the difference between 1.2 and 1.3 rated HDMI cables (if indeed there is any). !.3 is the current top spec.

And tell your brother if he thinks that his trusted source is a big box employee who has been told to push the highest margin product, he needs to go back to school and take a marketing class.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
HDMI Cable

Unless you need a really long run for the HDMI cable, I don't think you'd need to look at the 22 AWG or 24A AWG options, and can stick with the 26 AWG or 28 AWG HDMI offerings.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Stick with monoprice cables. Best Buy salesmen are quite ignorant, the worst part about it is that they don't *know* that they are ignorant, so they gladly pass out totally bogus information with an air of authority. Maybe half at most of the facts they throw out are actually true. The other half ranges from half-true to totally false.

For the LCD displays, all the 120hz/240hz frame rate occurs entirely inside the set, *after* it has already passed through the cable. From Blu-ray, they are still getting data at 24hz or 60hz (depending on disc & settings) just like the older 60hz refresh LCD sets.

Never buy Monster anything, unless it is at least 90% off!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Ask him the IEEE Standards (standards.ieee.org) definition for "High", "Advanced" or "Ultra". He won't find one. Which means they are marketing terms worth about as much as a stinking pile of cow poop. Actually less, because cow poop can be used as fertilizer.

Congratulations to your brother, he wants to pay $150 for something that should cost $10. :rolleyes

And PS - There are no "bells and whistles" to be had from an HDMI cable. They are like a light switch, on or off. They either work, or they don't. You either get the best picture you can, or you get an unwatchable picture full of sparklies, followed by a blank screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks