What's new

HDMI cable for HD or Upconverting DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, I have one HDMI input on my set. Does anybody know which source would benefit most from using the HDMI cable? DirecTV HD DVR box. or panasonic s77 720p dvd player.

I would use component for the source that doesn't get the HDMI.

thanks

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
IIRC, your upconverting DVD player won't upconvert over component anyway. If so, your choice is easy:)

Mort

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
right, I got that. But my question is, is it worth it to upconvert over HDMI, or to use the HDMI for the HD source?

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say use the HDMI for a TRUE HD source and not upscaling. The S-77 should look fine over component (though I have never tried it, IMO it doesn't look THAT differant on 480p via HDMI than 720p/1080i on HDMI).

But do they make some kind of HDMI hub or switching box or something to rectify this? I might be in the same boat if I ever finally get HD cable and/or an X-Box 360.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
If you can, try it and see if it matters. But I'd give the HDMI input to whatever device was had a true HD signal to work with and that's not the DVD. Both the TV and the DVD will upconvert and component will support 480P from the DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks