HDMI Cable for BluRay player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Adam Sanchez, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Hope this is in the right section, need some quick help. Was just over at Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10243
    looking to get a HDMI cable for my new (first) BD Player. I didn't realize cables are HDMI 1.3! I knew players and devices were, but you need the CABLE to be too? My current TV is definately not 1.3, it might not even be 1.1, and my reciever is 1.1 for sure. But both of those are going to be upgraded soon.

Is a 1.3 cable ok for me, even if most of my stuff is 1.1?

Also, are those IN WALL cables only for In Wall? Or can they be used as normal cables too? Lower Gauge number is better right? I always forget...

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    HDMI 1.3 allows higher bandwidth than previous versions, but the potential benefits of this enhanced bandwidth (higher resolution, Deep Color, higher frame rates) will only be seen in the future beyond our current HDTV standards. HDMI's practical implementation on HD DVD and Blu-ray (1080p, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, PCM bitstream etc.) requires no more actual bandwidth than the existing pre-1.3 HDMI standards, so realistically any HDMI cable will be fine for use with 1.3 electronics (this is also the assumption from the HDMI body itself).

If a cable is certified as HDMI 1.3, it just means that it has been tested and shown to work at 340MHz, but this makes no real-world difference at this time. Any current HDMI cable that is able to carry 1080p video should also be able to pass the requirements for 1.3 certification, but it would require formal re-testing. If you want added peace of mind feel free to buy a 1.3 certified cable, but you don't need it and you certainly shouldn't pay more for it.

In-wall HDMI cables are often UL CL3 rated, meaning they have been tested to meet minimum fire retardance and smoke emission standards (Standard for Vertical-Tray Fire-Propagation and Smoke-Release Test for Electrical and Optical-Fiber Cables, UL 1685 if you want more details). There is no reason, however, not to use them as conventional exterior cables and as they often include integrated passive equalizers for long cable runs they may even be a better option.

Adam

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The lower the gauge, the thicker the wires, so if you opt for a 24 or 26 gauge HDMI cable, the overall cable will be thicker, and sometimes it could make it harder to bend it around your HT setup. If you don't need a long run (over 10 feet, given monoprice's offerings), the 28 gauge HDMI 1.3a cable should be sufficient, and easier to snake through the wire jungle of your setup. I just received a couple of 15 foot 28 gauge HDMI 1.2a cables from monoprice because I needed cables more than 10 feet long and didn't need the extra bandwidth that the 1.3a cable are tested to be able to pass.

Oh, and the HDMI cables should work for both Blu-ray and HD DVD. [​IMG]

4. Adam Sanchez

Thanks guys, I understand all this alot better now.

So an in wall wire is fine, even if I don't go in wall?

And if i understand right, I don't really even have to get a 1.3 cable correct? An older cable will be just as sufficient for my needs for a good while? I only ask for the prospect of maybe saving a few bucks.

EDIT: Do I want/need Ferrite Core cables, or again will the In wall ones with the netting work? Either way?

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The HDMI cable is just carrying 1s and 0s (voltage levels representing 1s and 0s) for the video (since it's a pure digital signal for the video), and the low level PCM audio signals being carried isn't going to sound all that different whether the conductor is copper, tin or iron/ferrite; also, any of the conductor types won't impart an audible difference when the audio is bitstreamed as a digital signal (more 1s and 0s) to the receiver/prepro for processing.

I paid just under $20 delivered for 2 runs of 15 foot 28 gauge HDMI 1.2a cables from monoprice, and even then I thought I was paying too much. [​IMG] I didn't see the point in buying the thicker, bulkier HDMI cables for short runs.

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Adam,

I recently wrote an article on HDMI and associated components that might be of some assistance in helping you and others in understanding the sometimes confusing world of HDMI, cables, etc. It's located in this thread in this section. Before the HTF realignment it was a "sticky" thread but that must have gotten lost in the shuffle. I've stuck it near the top of the section once again and will keep it that way as long as it remains relevant. Hope this helps.

7. Adam Sanchez

I had seen that thread before but not read it all. That was a good read, thanks Robert.

I occasionally look at your HT site. Your theater was always one of my favorites back to the days of the HT picture section here on the forum. (Is that even around anymore?)

Ordered 2 6 feet HDMI cables from Monoprice for not even $15. I'm so glad I discovered the truth about cables and their prices. I was one of those people who bought Monster, Many years back. Now all my cables are from Monoprice for the most part, and 1/10th the price, but just as good. If not better. [​IMG]

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I'm glad that my article was helpful to you, Adam. That was my purpose in writing it and posting it. BTW, the member pictures are still with us. If you look at the very top of every page you will see a series of tabs. The one all the way over on the right is labelled "Galleries." If you click on that tab you will come to an area where the theaters are still open for business so to speak.

Parker Clack has done a great job in rearranging things here and sometimes it takes a bit of time to catch all the new goodies. And, of course, we have a FEEDBACK Area where you can ask for assistance in finding things that can't seem to find in the renovated HTF.

Good luck with all things HDMI!