What's new

HDMI audio vs Fiber Optic audio (1 Viewer)

TDP

Auditioning
Real Name
David
What is difference if any between running sound (along with video) thru an HDMI cable vs running sound thru a fiber optic cable. The reason why I ask. Well I just recently bought a Samsung dlp tv (3 hdmi inputs and 1 fiber optic out). I have both the cable dvr box and an upscaling dvd player connected to the tv via hdmi. but I have the sound from both devices connected directly to an Onkyo receiver via fiber optic cables. Am I missing anything sound wise? So I guess what I'm asking is "Is the sound from an hdmi cable setup better than a fiber optic setup?"

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
With your setup, no. Both are digital. HDMI will only help if
  1. You have a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player
  2. The aforementioned next gen player is being run into a receiver which also has HDMI and can decode the high def audio tracks.
Running the sound via HDMI (if your TV even supports it) will actually have the negative effect of it no longer being distributed to the speakers connected to your Onkyo. Fiiiiiiber is just fiiiiiiine. :D

TDP

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Ok. So the TV would need an hdmi output and the receiver would need an hdmi input? Right?

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Visa versa...but you're on the right track.

The big thing, though, is the source. If you don't envision having Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, then you're not gaining anything. It will be the same old Dolby Digital or DTS you're getting now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks