What's new

HDMI 1.3 not firmware upgradeable! (1 Viewer)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

Thanks. That answered one obvious noob question I had about this.

Disappointing, but not really a surprise...

Hank_P

Second Unit
Am I missing something. Based on how I am reading that article, only HDMI 1.3 will pass the new DTS+ Codecs. In that case, we would need to run the HDMI from the DVD player, to the Receiver to decode the new sound formats, and then have an HDMI cable from the new receiver w/1.3 to the new TV to take advantage of the new 1.3 video enhancements?

Or is it just understood that the new Codecs will continue to pass out of the DVD players via the same digital connections it currently has and the 'new chips' in the future receivers will be needed to decode the format.

I'm like many others ready to jump on the band wagon, but the wagon just ain't showing up. Does anyone have the "band wagon" bus schedule :)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Yes, you'll need HDMI to the receiver in order to use the new audio formats. The old SPDIF connexion doesn't have the "security" measures the release companies want, and it has bandwidth limitations as well ; IEEE1394 [FireWire, iLink, whateveryouwanttocallit] seems to be disappearing as an audio connexion standard, although I understand there are a few components which use it for DVD-A and even SACD.

That is the disadvantage of a single-cable audio-video solution, you need an AVR which passes it through.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Great, my pj and dvd player are on opposite sides of the room from my amp settup. I'd have to run 2 25 foot HDMI cables when I upgrade.

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Right now I just dont see the point in going HD if You are going to get the advanced sound codecs. I guess I am waiting until its all sorted out.
The whole "one cable" solution that is supposed to be HDMI doesnt make sense to me. Since my display is just that a display why do I need to feed my display audio info it cant deal with anyway. So now you will HAVE to run you video through your rec/pre amp and hope it doesnt degrade the picture.
I never thought the old way was as complicated as this is turning into.
The "handshake" that the player has to have/maintain during playback just sucks IMHO. I also dont understand the studios avoidance of the analog outputs is it really for piracy reasons? Because everybody I know that makes "backup" copies uses a pc and rip/burn programs. I only backup my daughters disney stuff cause the thought of having to by another 20-30.00 copy because she accidenatlly scratched it would get quite exspensive.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Multiple Choice:

Assuming I have current (early-2006) equipment, when HDMI 1.3 arrives in order to get the benefit I will need to:

A) Buy a new 1.3 compatible HD display.

B) Buy a new 1.3 compatible HDMI cable.

C) Buy a new 1.3 compatible HD playback device.

D) Buy a new 1.3 compatible HD-spec sound receiver.

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Frank@N,
I believe you would need both C & D.
If I understand the article correctly the 1.3 chipsets will be able to pass the new audio codecs. I dont think the upgrade to 1.3 has to do with the video portion of the signal.
There is another post about the release of 1.3 you might want to check it out. I was about to get a player and now I am waiting for 1.3 and all bugs to get worked out before I take the plunge.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Ok...so I am confused here....continually waffling between taking the plunge, or not.

Does/Will HDMI 1.3 have anything to do in practical terms with the quality of the audio I would or or would not be getting from this first wave of Toshiba HD players? For example, I was hung up on these players not outputting 1080P until I understood that in fact the human eye cannot detect the difference. However, will this HDMI 1.3 issue be preceptible?

I dont intend to spend thousands upgrading all my HT gear in the next year or two anyways, so am I losing out on waiting till November or so for the next generation players?

In other words, are there compelling practical considerations in this whole HDMI 1.3 issue?

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Thanks for clearing this up with regards to HD audio and HDMI.

I've been reading alot of hype about the new video benefits of 1.3 (wider color gamut), so I was beginning to think that the HDMI chips in displays would need to be updated as well.

Having said that, 1.3 seems to be bringing a variety of changes and will probably slow the sales of 1st gen HD players and other HT gear as well.

EDIT: Peter, I'd wait for a 2nd gen player (either format) for 1.3 and other perks (like a free 1.3 cable). That and HD receivers are not out yet anyway (?).

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I think a good test would be to listen to different audio formats available (CD, SACD, DVD-A, mp3). If you can easily pick up the difference between CD and SACD in your system then it might be worth it. I said "easily" because with watching the movie you are not doing as critical listening as with music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks