What's new

HD-(X)A1 Firmware Update now available on Toshiba website. Now version 2.4!!! (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
That site looks the exact same to me Travis as it has for about a week...unless I missed something. It's a cool site but wish they would add the movie trailers instead of the coming soon heading. Picky aren't I?
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
Travis,

On AVS, one of the people encoding these movies for Warner mentioned that the Superman Returns HD-DVD would have a TrueHD 5.1 track. It was disclosed in a technical discussion on the HD-DVD format. He was told a few weeks ago not to discuss any aspect of specific titles, so information on future TrueHD titles will probably be limited to press releases in the future.

His comments created excitement about what Warner was doing with its titles, but I suppose someone at the studio didn't appreciate him disclosing information on future titles when it wasn't in his job description to do so, even in the context of a technical discussion on encoders that could ultimately lead to a better product / authoring tools.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i did the update, i guess it went through i cant figure out how to check the player for version.

i checked my phantom for the sound and found the sound in true hd to be much lower in volume then the standard DD track.

what should i expect to hear with this true hd track?

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
Increased detail... Of course, ultimately what you can hear and what you can't will depend on your equipment and your ears.

Note again you need to use either HDMI or 5.1 analog output to experience TrueHD -- you also have to select the TrueHD 5.1 track in setup. If you are using 5.1 analog input and your receiver/amp doesn't have an analog bypass mode, then it may be degrading the audio signal with an extra A/D step.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
denon 3803 using an 5.1 inputs.

never heard of thAt , not sure if this denon does that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok just i case no one sees the dupe thread on this.
if you have a problem with the true hd being too low on
phantom turn off enhanced dialogue.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Enhanced dialogue? Where does one change this?

Thanks - Steve

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
This may be nothing more than O/C paranoia, but I downloaded the firmware update last night (I get the player tomorrow), and I remembered a thread (don't remember where) mentioning that the firmware updates could also contain malware, and could "infect" the player. Is there any truth to this? As I understand it, the downloaded image is exactly the same as the official disk sent out by Toshiba....?

Does anyone know if using the 5.1 analog inputs of the Denon AVRs bypass bass management, as well as all processing (Pro-logic, etc), and if the above statement is applicable to them (I am using an AVR2105)? Thanx!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Derek, if the firmware image did not come from Toshiba, it's not an officially supported Toshiba release. Sure, it may be the same, but Toshiba will not have to support it if you run into an upgrade problem using an unsanctioned install disk.

- Steve

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
That's pretty much what I thought, Steve. I'm gonna just go with optical audio for now (but I'm sure even that will still be awesome!)...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Was I supposed to change audio from Bitstream to PCM?

I seemed to have lost a bit of sound direction in the process.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I left mine at bitstream... don't we need that for regular DVD and Dolby Digital to work? PCM is a stereo-based carrier.

To get Dolby TrueHD to work, you go through the analog outs, not the digital out anyway.

- Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I had no idea -- and probably the reason I was unsatisfied with
the audio on Phantom.

Now, you need to go with ANALOG outs?! Does that mean
not using coxial or toslink outputs?

Dave>h

Second Unit
Ron,

As I understand it, to get the DD True HD 5.1 or whatever it is called, you would need to use the 5.1 analog out of the player into your amplifier. Using the toslink or coax results in a down rezzed bitstream signal being sentto your amp via DTS encoding. The reason for this is that you need the HD A1 to do the decoding of the True HD signal, your amplifier (no ones amp at this stage) is not capable of decoding the true HD signal.

Hope that helps.

Dave

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Dave is correct. You use the internal decoder in the HD-A1 for Dolby Digital + and Dolby TrueHD audio, which it sends to its 5.1 analog outputs/HDMI output. If you're using a digital output on the Toshiba for these formats then they're being TRANSCODED to a format (DTS I believe) your reciever/processor can handle and then output to the optical/coax digital out. Not an ideal situation. In addition, unless you've applied the v2.0 firmware to your HD-A1, you'll only get 2 channel output from TrueHD. The new firmware enables full 5.1 TrueHD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think I'll just switch back to bitsream and use normal 5.1

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Bitstream is the way to go for DVD.

Bitstream will limit you to full-bitrate DTS sound on HD DVD. Everything will be converted to DTS sound on playback of an HD DVD.

The only way to get unfettered Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby True HD, barring an HDMI connection, is via the discrete 5.1 outs of the Toshiba and the discrete 5.1 ins of your receiver. It is the same principle as connecting high-resolution audio from an SACD or DVD-Audio player--you use the discrete 5.1 connections.

- Steve

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the analog outs provide amazing sound listening to DD+ but true hd is better if only slightly.

do it ron you'll like

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
What a waste of hype, the whole video/audio in one cable (HDMI) is. So much for simple setups with no cable rats nest, now we have to have audio switching everytime we want to play a DolbyHD disc (or SACD for BD players). Gotta love DRM.

Users who are viewing this thread