What's new

HD Video Switching - Inexpensive Solution (1 Viewer)

Hap C

Agent
Thought I would post the results of my recent experience with two of the component video switchers discussed in this thread, the Audio Authority 1154 and the Zektor HDS4.

I originally purchased the Audio Authority 1154 to use with a Rotel RSP-1066 processor, which only has 2 HD inputs, and I have 3 HD sources. Based on my review of this thread, and other research, I decided the AA 1154 switch was "the one". I liked the automatic switching feature provided by the AA 1154. However, the AA1154 delivered to me last week had a really bad sync problem in the upper portion of the picture, about 2"-3" down from the top, appearing as an indentation in the shape of the letter "C" on the right side of the picture, then wavy lines all across the picture lining up with the "C" indentation, ending up on the right side with a protrusion in the shape of a reverse "C". The rest of the picture left a lot to be desired as well. Not fuzzy, but lacking it detail and clarity. Very disappointing. The HD picture obtained when running the signal through the AA1154 was not as sharp as my HD components when they were run direct in to the TV, or through the Rotel. After lots of experimenting, I confirmed that all 3 of my HD sources (terrestrial HDTV via antenna, HD cable, and progrsssive scan DVD player) had the identical sync problems when run throuh the Audio Authority switch, regardless of which of the 4 AA inputs were used. Again, with the AA 1154 out of the loop, all HD sources worked fine direct in to the Rotel processor, and/or switched through the processor. AA tech support suggested the problem might be the component video cables I was using, so although I was already using high-end cables I went out and bought some new cables as a test. No improvement. Same sync problem still there. I concluded it was a bad switch from AA, and sent the AA 1154 back to the dealer and ordered a Zektor HDS4, which arrived today.

Wow! All sources work fine through the Zektor, no sync problems, but more importantly the overall quality of the HD signal passed by the Zektor is significantly, hugely better, with much greater clarity and detail than the AA switch. Not sure if that's because the AA switch was defective generally, or if it's some other reason. The video bandwith on the Zektor is greater than 250mhz, compared to 60mhz on the AA. Wonder if the higher bandwith can make that much of a difference? Digital audio switching on the Zektor also works fine, and the remote codes/options on the Zektor work perfectly, easy to program, everything works flawlessly. I originally intended to run one HD source through the Rotel RSP-1066 (video 1) and the other two HD sources through the Zektor, then into the Rotel RSP-1066 (video 2), but the Zektor switching works so well I ended up running all sources through the Zektor then video direct in to the TV, with 1 digital audio direct in to the Rotel. Works perfectly, sounds great.

I was originally ticked off that the AA switch was defective, but that was a blessing in disguise. If the AA had not been defective, I would never have tried the Zektor, which IMHO is a much better piece of equipment. Quality of the construction of the Zektor is also higher, a metal 17" wide component that looks like a high-end component, compared to the boxy plastic housing of the AA switch. The quality of the RCA inputs on the Zektor is also higher; much sturdier, with gold plated contacts. Only drawback to the Zektor is cost, $299 compared to $169 for the AA.

Anyone else out there compare these two switches directly and, if so, what were your results?

Cheers,

Hap

Brian McL

Auditioning
I had a similar problem when I just had my TV and my GameCube and PS2. The TV only had one component input. I ended up making my own switch box. Bought a switch, some wire, a metal box and all the RCA inputs. Put it together and it works great, and has for 2 years! And the best part is that all the parts cost me just under $30.

TomK

Stunt Coordinator
Looking at the picture of the AV Toolbox AVT-5842 on their website the unit is green. Is that really the color? I hate to be a snob . . . but green?

Tom

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, It's Green:frowning: (even brighter green than it looks on the website)... but it works perfectly. I've got my DVDs, XBox, and HD set top hooked up to the AVT-5842 and haven't had any problems with it. Fortunately, the glass in front of my AV rack is frosted so the color of the switch isn't a big deal for me.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Hmm...Informative thread, but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. What I really want is a one source to two destination A/B switch for component video. Preferably something passive that won't degrade or interfere with the signal. I see that Inday has a splitter that would accomplish my task, but I don't like the idea of "splitting" my component signal or artificially boosting it to send it to multiple locations at the same time. I just want to move where I send the component output of my DVD player with as little degradation as possible. I'm not trying to send the signal two places at once. I want it through the pass-thru of my iScan (where it's going now), but switchable to the component input of my iScan so I can let the iScan scale 4:3 and non-anamorphic material through component. Right now I use the S-Video which produces acceptable, but not spectacular results due to the reduced color rendition compared to component.
If someone wants to assure me that the Inday splitter won't degrade the signal, maybe it's the way to go, but if anyone can steer me toward a high-bandwith A/B switch like I'm looking for I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
What I really want is a one source to two destination A/B switch for component video. Preferably something passive that won't degrade or interfere with the signal
When you split it, each leg gets half the signal strength. The 4-in, 2-out switches I have seen all have amplification to compensate for this.

Adrian_S

Second Unit
I was going to go with the Audio Authority, but after reading the above post, it's looks like my choice is clear.

The Zektor HDS4 is $299, guess I'm going to have to work some more overtime.

Don P

Auditioning
I picked the Zektor up on Audiogon last week and it is working out great for me. Good construction, no signal loss that I can notice and easy to use/setup (if you read the manual.) This piece is especially great for me as my TV doesn't have direct codes to the inputs so now I don't play 'Joker's Wild' every time I change Video Sources.

I didn't go for the AVToolbox because the audio isn't digital.

Randy_Mann

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone out there who owns the AVToolbox unit AVT-5842 willing to post a picture so we can see just how green is green?

Just wondering how well this unit works. It looks interesting, but with so many people using the inday, audio authority piece, and the zektor. I'm up in arms on which one to get.

Thanks

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I would like to just chime in here and say that I just purchased the Zektor unit from another forum member. It arrived yesterday and I now have it hooked up to my HT system.

I will vouch for this device. It's very sleek, and looks great among the rest of the gear in my equipment rack. It is extremely simple to set up, and I know that I will enjoy the convenience this device adds to my system. Best of all, I detect no signal loss as a result of this device. Anyone who is willing to spend the cash on something like this should get one of these.

If I ever wore a hat, I would take it off to salute the makers of this product. Nicely done!

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Is anyone using the AVT-5842 outputting to two displays?

I'm thinking of getting this since I'm going to get a CRT for some of my video games rather then risk screen burn on my RPTV. However I'd like to be able to use either display as I want so this device seems perfect.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks