What's new

HD Video Switching - Inexpensive Solution (1 Viewer)

Jason Cald****

Stunt Coordinator
I have a few issues with my Replay also. I think i am going to return it for a 5040 and save $200 then just upgrade it. I wanted something with ethernet since i did not have a home phone.

I need to get the update or whatever for my cable box, it drives me crazy that non HD stuff has bars on the side. I heard someone say philly or someplace had a upgrade already.

We do have very simular setups though =).

This helps a ton with the limited inputs of our reciever/TV combo. I still need to get a good remote though, sick of having 8 of them out heh. If you have any other questions let me know.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Thanks again Jason!

I just noticed you have Linksys Router (wireless?) under the component rack also - and guess what - I have that one too!

The AA switcher looks BIGGER than what I thought it would look like (at least in your picture).

I can't find any on ebay - so I may just have to order a new one today sometime.

You need a Remote? Maybe look into getting a Pronto...I love mine! I would probably opt for one of the newer Pronto models out there now (mine is the older T1000) as they offer more hard buttons. Dealing with a LCD touch-screen can be tough at times....but definitely worth it for the Pronto.

Jason Cald****

Stunt Coordinator
I had to look for a week to find one there, and when i did it was listed only as a component switcher not under Audio Authority. I think most places had them back in stock on the 15th of this month.
I do have a linksys router, under the rack is just a linksys hub that i have wired, still need to run the ethernet cable under the floor, always another project =). I do have a Dlink wireless access point though for my lap to run wireless.
I have been looking at the Pronto's for awhile, i have been thinking about ordering a TSU6000 the last few weeks. Just not sure how much programming and stuff i would be getting myself into getting it up and running. I have been lurking a lot around remote central lately.
The AA is a good size for sure. I need to get a new rack or another self soon. The wires to make it top heavy on the back it comes with screws if you want to mount it on a wood surface.
Did you get the firmware update for your Motorola 5100. or are you still watching all non HD stuff with bars on the side through component inputs?
Thanks again, and it looks like you have good taste in your A/V stuff ;)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Did you get the firmware update for your Motorola 5100. or are you still watching all non HD stuff with bars on the side through component inputs?
NO! I do not have the latest firmware update for my Motorola 5100 either...unfortunately. So, I'm stuck in that same boat (bars).

My local cable company (AT&T) only offers 2 HD channels right now (HBO and Showtime) here in Seattle, WA. They are supposed to add more within the month or so (locals, espn, etc)...or at least that is what they keep telling me.

I use my TiVo for most of my viewing - so I don't have the bars. Doesn't your Replay stretch the image to fill the screen (no bars on the sides) if you watch cable through it? The only time I don't watch via Tivo is when something is on HD-HBO or HD-Showtime.

But I still wouldn't mind the update - hopefuuly AT&T will deliver - especially since it is available.

Jason Cald****

Stunt Coordinator
Problem with using the replay as a channel switcher is that there is like a 6 second delay when switching channels. It drives me crazy so i normally just use it to record i try not to watch tv from it unless i am watching one show for awhile.

For HD i get ABC, NBC, HBO, Showtime(need to order it), and PBS. Same here, comcast is supossed to add some more channels soon.

howard plato

Auditioning
I recently bought the AA 1154 and it works great. I have a PS2 and Gamecube running through the AA 1154 then into my Denon 3300 as the TV input. I bought it from www.copperbox.com and it arrived all the way up here in Canada in 3 days. This prolonged the life of my 3300 by a year or so, as I have 2 additional inputs for future expansion.
Even though I have a Pronto, the auto-switching ability meets my needs.
howard

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Howard

Thanks for your feedback on the AA 1154. I will be ordering one as soon (waiting for a couple rebates to come back to me first) as I can.

I have a Pronto also - but I find myself using it less and less everyday it seems. I think I'm starting to like tactile buttons more these days than the Pronto's touch-screen display.

I basically just use the Pronto to turn everything on or off, and to run Macros (Watch DVD, watch TiVo, Listen to Radio, etc) so the AA 1154 should also fit my needs well.

Thanks again

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
For about 2-3 months I've been using the AA 1154 for HTPC, DVL-91, Gamecube and PS2. I use an AA 1177 (?) digital audio autoswitch for deciding between the Audiophile 2496 and HiPix HDTV dig out. The only problems I've had is with the Gamecube cutting out a few times.

However, I don't have any free component ins and need a way to add my Mac and future items like a DVHS to the picture. The Denon 3802 handles my DVD and Cable HDTV switching for now.

Anyone having problems running these in series to add 7 new component inputs?

Is there something like the Inday to switch VGA + USB by remote? (not IR to PC, because it won't always be on)

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Sorry if I'm late to the party, but I have a question:

Do these component swithchers have a place for optical/coax in/out? I'd love to have a component swithcher, but it would need an optical switcher to go with it, and I'd prefer it all in one box.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Brian,
As you can see in the photo below, the AA 1154 Component Switcher does indeed employ (4) Optical and (4) Coaxial Digital Inputs (for connecting your DVD, LD, CD, XBOX, etc.) to correspond with the (4) Component Video Inputs.
It then offers (1) Coaxial and (1) Optical Digital Output that you would connect to your receiver. Note: You would only need to connect one (Coaxial) or the other (Optical) to your receiver, as the AA 1154 will convert it all to the correct format.

Good luck! This seems to be the box you are looking for! I know I can't wait for mine to get here! I do have one on order now - and it should be here later next week. FYI: I ordered from Digital Connection

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Is the AA switcher available at the retail level (non-internet sales)? I'm going off to NYC at the end of the month and I wouldn't mind picking one up there.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Hey Jason
Nope - it's been on back-order ever since I placed my order w/ Digital Connection. It is supposed to come available this week - so hopefully by next weekend I'll have it in-house. I'm ready :)

Miles

Second Unit
Howard,

How much did the AA switcher come to in Canuck-bucks from Copperbox?

Just wondering about exchange/brokerage/duty etc.

Thanks,

Miles

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
I just pre-ordered mine from Copperbox. With the exchange, I'm probably looking at $300 although the Loonie is a bit stronger nowadays. I also received an email from Copperbox today outlining their FedEx shipping prices:
  • $54.49 FedEx Internation Priority
  • $43.44 FedEx International Economy
  • $21.16 FedEx International Ground
I am assuming that THOSE prices are in US dollars!

howard plato

Auditioning
All told it came to a little less than $400 CDN delivered to my door (including the additional $28 Fedex brokerage fees) Expensive, however it does prolong the life of my Denon 3300 for a little while.

howard

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Robert:
Like you I have an Extron switcher. I like the peace of mind. When you invest in after market power and video cables, line conditioners and isolation products....a little more overkill is harmless. ;)
Ron

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
All told it came to a little less than $400 CDN delivered to my door (including the additional $28 Fedex brokerage fees)
GULP!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks