What's new

HD Radio - It is great. (1 Viewer)

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Living close to Los Angeles, I am able to receive quite a few HD radio stations. I just upgraded my receiver to the Marantz SR8002 which includes the HD radio feature. I have an external TV antenna (yes, the kind we used before the advent of cable). The SQ through my system is great. We might be spoiled in the LA area, and if you have not demo'd HD radio, give it a try through some quality equipment, it is a true and vast improvement to FM.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
In essence, HD Radio is FM that is equal to or better than CD quality audio. On the reciever, I tune in to a station as usual, the signal locks on and plays as usual, 2-3 seconds on the station and the receiver switches internally to the HD band if it is available on a given station (a seemless transition) when the station is playing HD content, you can then switch to the other sub bands on that frequency - HD2, HD3 and so on by tuning up, the actual frequncy stays the same untill a new station is next on the dial. The initial channel is usually the commercial station, subsequent channels on the given freq might be talk and add free (94.7 The Wave is this way in Los Angeles) each channel is perfectly clear, and well worth the entry price for a receiver so equipped.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I just installed an HD receiver in my car and I think it's cool. The low bandwidth sub-channels sound really, really bad - like bad old Internet radio. But it's cool as hell that one of my local sports radio stations plays their network affiliate from another city where I used to live on a sub-channel. It's great being able to hear the shows I used to love on WIP.

Also - a hidden bonus with many of the alternate subchannels is that they don't have much commercials. I bet it's difficult to impossible to sell HD subchannel advertizing, kind of like web stream advertizing. A local classic rock station has a subchannel which is "hits" from the 60s and 70s, and it's great. Very few commercials at all on the subchannel.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I am re-doing the main system and picked up a used Integra DTC 9.8 pre/pro a few weeks back and got around to programming the HD Radio stations last week and was surprised how good it sounded.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I listen to some local HD2 channels over the internet and on my iPhone, and I particularly love the subchannel of my local "oldies" station. A number of years ago, they dropped their '50s music and most of the '60s to become a "'70s station, with some '60s and some '80s." That's great and all, but a local high school flamethrower of a station already has that format. I missed the true "oldies." Their HD2 channel has that covered. I'm planning to get an HD radio in the car just for them. I could run the iPhone version, but the radio.com app is pretty screwy.

There are fewer commercials, but I do find that the playlist is rather limited. I hear the same songs quite a bit.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
More censored channels? Meh. Sneaking in HD trying too make folk believe that stands for high def? Boo. Same old station formats? I'm not seeing the appeal.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

More censored channels? Meh.
Sneaking in HD trying too make folk believe that stands for high def? Boo.
Same old station formats?

I'm not seeing the appeal.

So why the thread fart on a thread devoted to and written by people who enjoy this new format?

Just couldn't keep it to yourself, huh?

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
As stated, the content/quality of HD radio varies greatly by market, in LA the quality is great, and mostly commercial free on the available stations. I enjoy it immensly as do others who have the equipment to give it a listen. But, by all means, please stay with the standard FM stations and all the commercials and basic noise that goes along with them...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Greg what app do you use to get the hd radio channels on the iphone.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's called Radio.com. It's basically an offshoot of their (CBS Radio) internet player. It was great the first night I tried it, but now it tends to stop playing after a song or two.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh ok.

CBS has at lea 3 radio apps that i have seen.

there is a cbs one a yahoo one and the radio.com one.
Each one has exactly the same content and the same problems

with the pop up ad and the buffering troubles, losing the signal....

I need it to listen to WIP 610 Philly when I'm walking around or at work.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I guess so. For me I guess if it comes for free in my next car I wouldn't ignore it but I wouldn't pay for the service because of the things I perceive as its drawbacks and I find it odd that there is such enthusiasm for it despite those 'flaws'. To those that are fans tho, I say 'carry on!'.

Edited to ad: I remember hearing that Apple is no longer going to allow single station radio apps, and wants them all to consolidate under things like the Radio.com one. Do you guys think that is a good or bad idea?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

I guess so. For me I guess if it comes for free in my next car I wouldn't ignore it but I wouldn't pay for the service because of the things I perceive as its drawbacks and I find it odd that there is such enthusiasm for it despite those 'flaws'. To those that are fans tho, I say 'carry on!'.

Edited to ad: I remember hearing that Apple is no longer going to allow single station radio apps, and wants them all to consolidate under things like the Radio.com one. Do you guys think that is a good or bad idea?

It should be easy to understand in my case: there are no rock and roll oldies stations in my area, on regular radio. HD radio gives that to me, and that's enough in spite of any perceived flaws. I can even listen to Christmas music all year long if I want. It's like satellite without a subscription.

My initial take on Apple is that they should leave it alone. If I want an app dedicated to a single station, why not let me? Not that I've ever used such a thing.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sam HD Radio is free, there is no service price like Sirius xm. Apple better not do that, it's a terrible idea.

that Radio.com and all the CBS radio apps stink.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Right, I guess if someone is upgrading the radio in their car or as you said getting a new car then you'll want to have hd radio include.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks