HD Programming Question

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Bryan X, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I've got HD through Time Warner. One of the channels offered in HD is NBC. I've watched some programming in HD, such as the Tonight Show.

Tonight, I just watched the beginning of Law and Order. When the show came on, it said available in HD where available. So I figured I'd be able to flip over to the HD channel to watch it. But even on the HD channel it was in 4:3 Standard Def. What's going on? I thought any show on that network that was available in HD I'd be able to see in HD. Do some station affiliates not transmit every show in HD that is available in HD?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

This is a common mistake that many people have. HD does not equal WS.

HD just means that there are more horizontal lines of picture, but it does not specify that the lines have to be in a WS format.

Yes, it should, but I think (I am not sure here) that it will take a few years for the studios to upgrade their equipment, and eventually - all will be WS.

Glenn

3. Rob TT

Rob TT Stunt Coordinator

I thought that if its HD, it has to be Widescreen. I thought that all HD cameras are widescreen format. Maybe it was being broadcast in 480p??

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I think it does depend on the affiliates if they r transmitting HD or not...that's y they say "where available"....
    This site should provide u with the stations that do give u HD...http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.asp

5. Rob TT

Rob TT Stunt Coordinator

From NBC:

What are the advantages of HDTV?

There are several benefits to viewing programs in high-definition.

Clarity. The digital signal is crystal clear and noise-free.
    Wide-screen picture. Traditional televisions use a 4 by 3 aspect ratio, which means the screens are 4 units wide by 3 units high. However, theatrical films are usually much wider, taking advantage of the actual human field of vision. HDTV uses a wider 16 by 9 aspect ratio, which delivers movies with less "edge cropping" and provides a more intense viewing experience.

6. Al Shing

Al Shing Stunt Coordinator

US Customs definition of High Definition TV:

8. For the purposes of this chapter, references to "high definition" as it applies to television receivers and cathode-ray tubes refer to
    articles having:
    (a) a screen aspect ratio equal to or greater than 16:9; and
    (b) a viewing screen capable of displaying more than 700 scanning lines.
    ================================================== =======

The 16:9 aspect ratio, it seems, is integral to the definition of high definition.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The L&O episondes that I have seen in HD, have also been 16:9. You do seeHD programs sent out in the SD format (and resolution) from time to time.

8. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I don't have HD, but I seem to remember some people saying that the local affiliate needs to "flip the switch" to provide HD content and sometimes they forget.

Todd

9. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

10. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Lew and Todd are correct. The night before, they same thing happened. The L&O episode in question was sent out in SD everywhere. The Criminal Intent episode that preceeded it was however in HD. Someone messed up. I can't remember when that particular L&O episode was originally broadcasted.

It's possible that
    1) The episode originally aired before L&O was being presented in HD and some mo-mo tacked on the "In HD" banner by mistake
    2) Post holiday hangovers happen and someone forgot to flip the switch at NBC national to send out the HD version.

This isn't the first time NBC has sent out an SD L&O and still run the "In HD" banner at the bottom. Sometimes, I wonder if they forget that they are broadcasting L&O in HD.

Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

11. BrianS

BrianS Stunt Coordinator

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

13. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

14. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

15. Samuel_M

Samuel_M Agent

Hello:

Just wanted to jump in real quick and add my two cents worth.

High Definition Programming (720p and 1080i formats) are broadcast in widescreen. It is THE standard for how HD programming is broadcast.

You can only take advantage of this if a) you have a widescreen HDTV or b) you have a 4:3 HDTV that allows for 16:9 conversion. If you have neither, then chances are you will see a picture that is stretched or cropped.

As has been mentioned before, the networks send out programming in HD, but it is up to local affiliates to do their job and see to it that it actually happens. You will have to get in touch with the engineers at your local affiliates to ask them what the deal is if they opt not to broadcast a program in HD.

Lastly, Fox won't start broadcasting true HD programming until Fall 2004. That may change, but as of right now, don't expect them to do anything sooner. Remember Enhanced Definition does NOT equal High Definition. Big Difference!

If anyone else has questions about HD programming, I highly suggest that you visit the AVS HD Forum at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...php?forumid=34

16. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yes, it was probably the 'switch' that they forgot to flick. Has anyone ever tried to call a station 'after hours' - only to get a recording?

And who remembers to complain the next morning?

As for customs - I had to laugh at that because that is only the standard for the TV's - and not the signal. Are any of the 18 signals 4x3?

Al - as long as it looks like you have access to customs regs and rates...

If it was impossible to buy a 19" NTSC HD WS TV in the US, and I could get one overseas and import it, I understand that since I cannot buy it here there would be zero import tax. Is that correct?

Glenn

17. Al Shing

Al Shing Stunt Coordinator

18. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

You'll always get a recording if you call a tv station after business hours.

However most stations will have a separate number or a choice on thier voicemail for the news department so people can report crimes or accidents and such. If you dial that number or get the news department via thier voicemail choices you can then politely ask to speak to someone in the engineering department.

Our local ABC station's been doing HD since April of 01, and just recently installed the automated "switch flipper" so we don't see the last 10 minutes of NYPD Blue in SD anymore.

The NBC affilliate has only been up since June. At first they didn't do a flip at all, just left the HD network feed on all the time. So during breaks for local commercials we got a rather cool peacock screensaver, and never had to worry about the switch not getting flipped. Lately they seem to have also gotten the automated equipment.

I've also encountered several instances in which L&O was SD rather than HD. Usually the guide on my DirecTV capable tuner indicates the particular episode involved was first broadcast prior to the show ever being on in HD.
    Since my local NBC station has never had a switch flipping problem I think the "show too old to be in HD" explanation fits this particular case.

Off topic, but our local CBS station is up with digital but not HD, and keeps remapping itself every few days. The analog channel is 47, and on any given day it can show up at 47.1, 34.1 or 34.2--34 being the actual broadcast channel. I called the engineer and got the impression their budget for digital was practically nonexistent and they keep having to remap due to encoder problems.

19. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Just FYI, the Law & Order episode on tonight (Wednesday) is showing up in HD Widescreen. [​IMG]

20. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

If it's after normal business hours, just call the newsroom. They'll patch you through to the engineer on duty. [​IMG]