What's new

HD Football (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yes, another hearty :emoji_thumbsup: to CBS for broadcasting the Titans/Steelers game in HDTV. This sort of quality just makes you want everything in HD...now!

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Great HDTV picture, great game to match.
I hope the Jets-Raiders game will be as closely contested.

Does anyone know how we can all congratulate CBS for its high-def sports and prime-time programming (and encourage even more)?

I just wish they'd broadcast Letterman in HD.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
LoL ... yeah, isn't it funny how they have some of the best sports and prime-time HD coverage and then for Letterman they chop the top of his head off to fill the 16x9 screen :D

Tim Sly

Stunt Coordinator
JETS/RAIDERS GAME- MY very first NFL game in HD! OH it was sweet! This is why I bought a HDTV 3 years ago. (I'm in a rural area with no OTA HD) It is better than being there. And next week the Raiders/Titans game will be HDTV too! :D
I guess CBS finished its HD broadcasts of college football so they could bring us the NFL playoffs in HD. I wish they would do the whole season of NFL next year. There was an announcement that ESPN will do HDTV next year, that should include Sunday night football! It will be 720p. Does anyone know if I will need to buy a scaling device because my Toshiba 56X81 RPTV only accepts 1080i and no internal HD tuner is onboard. My Dish 6000 I believe would pass the 720p signal but the TV can't take it.
Are there any more networks on DISH NEtwork besides CBS that are provided in HD?

R

RossTerry

the raidas/jets game was my first HD football game

i believe sports is the best showcase for high def tv

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tim, whatever new decoder box you get to receive HDTV through SAT/cable should be able to upconvert 720p to 1080i (the box will most likely have a output switch that will allow you to pick from 480i/480p/720p/1080i). Keep your fingers crossed.

Tod_J

Grip
I also noticed the "wavy" scorebaord, but it seemed to "firm up" later on... I noticed that not ALL of the camera's were HD, a few replays were SD. Really made you appreciate what you were watching! (Dang, that is ugly, what's wrong with my TV?? Oh.)
How many other people could not resist switching back and forth between sattelite and HD a couple times to see what the OTHER folk have to watch? Heh

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This weekend is what I've been waiting for the past two years. The NFL in HDTV! Both CBS games looked great. The colors of both the Jets and Raiders uniforms were incredible. The Raider uniforms is the best rendition of black that I've seen from a live television event.

The Fox widescreen games paled in comparison, especially on the distance shots. The differences really standout when you get to see the games back-to-back.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
A big :emoji_thumbsup: to everything Scott says above. The CBS games were my first experience of the NFL in HD. Until Saturday I was impressed with the widescreen games on Fox. Not anymore! I can't wait to see the Super Bowl in 720p!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm in a quandary because I think one of my friends will be hosting a Super Bowl party (he has in the past, but not sure if he doing it this year), but he's got a conventional (but nice Sony 36") TV set, and I'd also like to watch the Superbowl in HDTV, but my place won't accomodate more than 4-5 people (with good view of the TV), so I won't really entertain a party at my place at this time.
Now if there's no party, I'll extend an invite to a few people to come over (but most are allergic to cats and I have 2 cats). Then I'll pray the weather is good and doesn't interfere with the OTA reception. :D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
No Quuandry for me my local Super Affiliate for Fox is not broadcasting Hi Def yet so it's only CBS for me , I'll enjoy that thou. I was invited over my friends this weekend with a Sony Conventional 61" I passed and stayed home to watch Hi Def, he came over for one game and was in Awe.

OliverT

Stunt Coordinator
Are you guys getting this stuff OTA or is a provider carrying this stuff in HD?
I'm about to decide on DirecTV/Dig. Cable/Dish so any info would be appreciated :D .
OT

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
OTA. The satellite services don’t have very much right now. Both have HBOH and Showtime HD. Dish has Discovery HD, while DirectTV has HDNet.

Dish has a deal where some can get CBS HD, but I don’t know how it works.

My local cable service (Charter) only offers HBO and Showtime in HD.

I’ve gone with DirectTV, but when ESPN in HD becomes available, that may cause a service switch.

OliverT

Stunt Coordinator
So...DirecTV did not carry the HD broadcast of the football games? But DISH did? I don't get any OTA here so the HD I'll see is what my cable/satellite provider decides to broadcast.

Hrmmmm...I agree that the ESPN decision will weigh heavily.

OT

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
99% of my HD viewing is OTA. I'm using the infamous Radio Shack double bow tie in both my family room and basement. I have HDNet and HD HBO via DirecTV but rarely tune in to them. If DirecTV does not carry ESPN's HD signal I will be making the switch to digital cable. I'll keep the dish for the NFL Sunday Ticket, but there is little else that DirecTV offers IMO.

EdQ

Stunt Coordinator
I just started getting HDTV OTA. Can't believe I didn't do it sooner. HD is sweet!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
No Quuandry for me my local Super Affiliate for Fox is not broadcasting Hi Def yet so it's only CBS for me
Don’t you mean ABC, Dave? They’ve got the Super Bowl this year. Last year was Fox.

In any case Fox does not telecast in HD anywhere—their affiliates that telecast digitally are at 480p, usually 16:9 format. In other words, DVD quality, not HD.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
All my HD viewing is OTA (that's all my Samsung tuner supports). I am using the Radio Shack double bowtie antenna that Dennis mentioned (best $17 I've spent on our HT). I will add Comcast's HD offering only if they broadcast the new ESPN-HD channel -- HBO and Showtime do not interest me. Currently we only subscribe to their analog cable service (DirecTV is too costly because of all the televisions we own).

As an aside for any other southeastern Michigan members, Wide Open West is supposed to be looking into providing HDTV programming in 2003 over their competing cable service. One of my co-workers, who is a WOW subscriber, has been corresponding with WoW about this. Supposedly Michigan is one of their first target regions, since Comcast has been rolling out HD in this area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks