HD-DVD Veteran, New to Blu-Ray. A few questions.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff Cooper, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Hello folks,

I currently own a Tosh HDA2 for playing HD-DVD's and expect to be going format neutral by the end of the year. I'm trying to research which Blu Ray player to get, and am a bit confused, due to the many choices.

My main concerns are that I want to get a player that is fully compliant with the new BD+ specs that are due in October, and that can decode Dolby TrueHD from the player. I don't want to end up getting a player that will be obsolete when the updated October specs come out.

Are there any players out now that meet both of these requirements, or should I hold off for a while until all of that settles down?

2. dkny75

dkny75 Stunt Coordinator

I own an A1 and I'm holding off until the October specs come out. I love special features, commentaries and all that interactive stuff so for me it's important that when I do get into Blu-ray, I have a fully functional player. Patience my friend.

3. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

From the research I've done so far, it seems that the PS3 would be the route to go if I were to bite now. I'm going to have an HDMI capable reciever (Denon AVR 2807), so the PS3 would be good for Dolby TrueHD via HDMI.

The PS3 also seems to be the most capable of handling the new specs via firmware updates, compared to the others. On this note I admit I am going purely off impressions from what i've read, and not stating this as golden fact. The bit of uncertainty would be what makes me hold off for a while.

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

The PS3 should be upgrdable to do everything in the BD spec as updates are released. The only possible thing it might not be able to do is full DTS-HD MA lossless audio decoding, but it's not certain just yet.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Hold off if you want a sure thing. Even the Ps3 isn't a sure thing but most people think it will be fine. But remember close only counts on horseshoes and hand grenades [​IMG]