What's new

HD-DVD Titles Announced for 4th Qtr Release- (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Does anyone here see how HD-DVD can survive if the reports are true and Warner does indeed support Blu-Ray?

This part of the article confuses me:

I guess I don't see the point if BR has everyone onboard except Universal. I can't see hardly anyone buying an HD-DVD player just for Universal product.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
I suspect HD-DVD will survive just long enough for the studios to see whether Blu-ray can actually pull off a spring launch of Blu-ray set top boxes and the PS3.

If they do, HD-DVD will probably die within a year as it becomes evident early-adopter consumers are not interested in a device which only plays movies from half the studios.

If not, HD-DVD may win more converts. Sony needs to execute flawlessly on the PS3 release, and ensure Blu-ray movie watching is enabled, or they stand to lose the game.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Even if the PS3 isn't the silver bullet Sony claims it will be, the Studios know that Blu-ray's format advantages (space, bandwith, java) are real...and non-PS3 players are coming.

HD DVD is DOA. Specifically, if it's true that WB decides to offer dual-format support, it's HISTORY before it's even been produced. WB was the only real lynch-pin HD DVD had...and that reflects the long relationship between that studio and Toshiba. For WB to really announce support for Blu-ray...even while "maintaining" support for HD DVD...is profound and renders the reality of the HD DVD support moot.

Warner needs to officially "support" HD DVD to keep their political ties with Toshiba alive...it's tantamount to an act of Toshiba-diplomacy...nothing more...if they really do announce support for Blu-ray.

To recap for everyone:

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/in...=2&newsid=8085

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...6128_tc024.htm

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...rticle_id=8068

WOW.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

"To early", for you. I've benn very, very selective (re: passing on titles) all this year. Maybe, just maybe, someone else is as well.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Predict all you like. Gather as much info as you like. Make as many "informed" opinions as you like.
Cause, The Marketplace will decide the winner of this war. And, The Marketplace, has yet to speak.
Disney was declared to be the kingpin, to winning the first digital video format war. DIVX had The Mouse, DVD did not. DIVX is DEAD!
You may think BD is better. People thought Beta was better as well (see, I am not using to with two O's even when it's appropriate! ;-) ).
Me, I'm hoping for the best HD audio/video format for the consumer, ever! Therefore the only side I'm on, is the side of the universal player. I don't wish to miss a thing!

Has Batman Begins (or ANYTHING), any hope of 4Q HD release?

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
A big point from the article (and a reason I thought the Intel-MS announcement was much ado about nothing by the HD-DVD group):

"In a related development, the IDG News Service reports that Intel Corp., which along with Microsoft Corp. last week announced it had joined the HD DVD Promotion Group, is open to also supporting Blu-ray if its backers commit to allowing the copying of content from discs onto home multimedia servers."

Basically, if the Blu-ray Group allows Windows Media Center and the like the same rights the HD-DVD group is granting then we can expect the same "announcement of support" from them as well.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Nope. The only HiDef machine available is D-VHS and soon the XBOX 360 which uses standard DVD as the media.
Which means, no HD Bat.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
What with the Warner announcement of Blu-ray support, it's going to be very interesting to see which of their (and Par's) first HD DVD slate turn up on their first Blu-ray slate if it indeed comes to that. And I sure wish they'd hurry up with those announcements . . .

-p

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Their talk about releasing stuff on HD DVD first may be political politeness to Toshiba at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if by the time the moment comes to pass...that promise is forgotten and HD DVD media streets side by side with BD or not at all. Not any certainty here, just an assumption.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Wow, browsing the thread since the beginning is an eye opener.

Look how far we've come in less than a year. Persons like me & DaViD have been vindicated that Blu-ray Disc would NOT be hurt by the premature and overly optimistic announcement that started this thread to begin with.

And I don't feel a bit of sorry for Toshiba & NEC :D

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
"[V]indicated"? LOL--CSO strikes again.

I think we need to see a BD release slate--and, indeed, maybe some product--before anyone polishes their laurels too proudly.

I'm sure you're dismissing it as oh-so-much posturing, Peter, but I am interested in what--if anything--may come of Warner's bet hedging, per last week's news stories. Specifically, Warner supposedly is going to see if Sony comes to market as strongly as they've touted. If so, they'll abandon HD DVD. If not, they may do both. And then there's that meshugas about Tosh going to market with hardware even if Warner abandons the format. "Trippy que no?"

Let's leave the format fetishism and talk of vindication to the other various threads. I've tried to keep this one focused on excitement over titles. Regardless of what format they street in, I continue to be more interested in when I can get my hands on a hi def Braveheart and Last Samurai. Plus there's teeth gnashing to be done over whether the supps that were on the standard def are gonna make it to the hi def version . . . and how long will it take the studios to do new transfers optimized for HD instead of just issuing 480p transfers on BD and calling it HD . . .

Inquiring minds want to know,
-p

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I really hope that Paramount and Warners titles from the list earlier this year are now coming to Blu-Ray. Batman Begins, Harry Potter, Matrix movies all some of my favorites. Universal will also switch befor the end of the year so I hope I can get Van Helsing on Blu-Ray before 2007 as well.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Heck, if Warner is putting out their A-list titles, even Lord of the Rings is not out of the question. Though they really ought to wait for 50GB for the extended editions.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
From Dictionary.com:
VINDICATE: To provide justification or support for: vindicate one's claim.
To justify or prove the worth of, especially in light of later developments.

It IS posturing by Toshiba. They have backed the wrong horse. Their bluff has been called. Whatever analogy you pick they have to save face some how.

Blu-ray's already a product. HD DVD is not. There are several titles listed in the launch announcement, waiting a few more months for the BRD version doesn't bother me too much. I'd rather wait for a superior product, and I'm sure most of the market is too, if only by ignorance (what are these HD discs?).

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator

The extended editions could fit entirely on one Blu-Ray but would have to be spread over two HD-DVDs. Peter Jackson was quoted in saying he plans on working on high definition versions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy as soon as he is done with King Kong. If thats true we could get them in high definition before the end of 2006.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Have you seen Capote yet Peter? There's a terrif scene in which PSH admonishes Perry Smith for intimating that the former doesn't know what the word "exacerbates" means.

I know what "vindicate" means, Peter.

What release announcement are you referring to? Link please?

-p

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Thats an impressive set of titles. Im surprised we are getting season television at launch on Blu-Ray when it took years for them to start releasing these on DVD. I guess in 1997 they didn't realize how profitable season sets of television were.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Jim:

We can't get too excited about Will Smith and Mulder & Scully in hi def yet. It remains to be seen whether any of those titles slated for release in Japan will street in the U.S.

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks