What's new

HD DVD Recorders and Cablecards.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hey all,

As I'm reading all of this information on the mess that has become HD DVD, it's a wonder.....if we're this confused about what Hollywood is trying to do, the average consumer will be up a river without a paddle...It'll be really laughabale when the average joe tries to figure it out and directs all their anger at the studios :).

But, I degress... onto the question..

When can one expect Cablecard Ready TV's that are in the 20" range? When the familly is watching a DVD downstairs on the new plasma, I can't watch digital cable on my 17" Widescreen TV in the smaller room upstairs.... And Cablecard devices won't be ready for the PC untill later this year, and THOSE will require sufficient modification to the system..

Anyone thinnk I will see such a product, or a DVD Recorder that accepts a cablecard input, anytime in the near future?

Thanks!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Sometime between now and April of 2009, when HDTV will be the only thing in town?

Does it have to have a cablecard, or can you use a CATV box, like most people have now? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

I'm not keeping up on TV's because I already have one with a DVI input, and with an HDMI adaptor, it does seem to work. There are DVR's out that take cablecards, but I don't know if there are any out with a DVD tray, just a hard drive, but I don't see why you couldn't send a 2nd set of outputs to a DVR with a DVD - if you just had to burn it.

Glenn

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
I guess he might be talking about the OpenCable initiative, where home PC owners will finally be able to directly accept digital cable into their PCs instead of aquiring it through an analog convertor card. This will permit digital recording of cable (though the rules of digital recording will be identical to those in the Digital Transition act, which will probably annoy people).

I don't know the specs, but it's probable there would be HD disk players with HDMI inputs for recording an OpenCable stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks