What's new

HD-DVD Player Returns (1 Viewer)

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
I stopped in to Best Buy yesterday, and did a double-take when I saw a table full of "open box" items: stacks of Toshiba HD-DVD players. Is this happening across the country, in lieu of the WB defection and Paramount/Uni/Dreamworks switch gossip?

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Last Friday I saw in my local BB a stack of Sony's S300 marked as 'open item" selling for 299.00. (still to expensive)

I guess the buyers , just like me, found out this players are not only expensive and buggy, but also obsolete.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You know the retailers would have rather Warners delay their bombshell until after the 30 day return window (or the extended holiday return period). It's probably not going to get any better for the retailers in the next month or so.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I work in the electronics dept. of a major Sears store. The last HD DVD player we had returned was shortly after Thanksgiving--it locked up at layer changes and the customer swapped it out for another A3 and hasn't been back since.

During the couple of weeks prior to Christmas that we had the A3 on sale at $199 and the Sony BD for $299 the A3 outsold the Sony about 3 to 1. So far none of either have been returned.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I just came back from BB and saw an equal size stack of Tosh and Sony on the table. Clerk said they keep getting returned by folks who don't understand or don't care to go through the pain of doing a firmware upgrade.

I can understand this after spending 2 hours on the phone with my Dad helping him burn a disc. Talk about painful... and he is fairly computer literate, the ISO image concept was too much for him during the holidays I guess.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They really need to improve the firmware situation on *both* sides, if they're serious about market penetration. Heck, I hate the idea of having to burn a disc for firmware update every now and then too -- and I'm one of the more tech-oriented people around (as a computer software developer). If I know/believe I'll have to do it more than just once -- the very first time I bring the player home -- I'd probably just pass on the player.

_Man_

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Heh, and just wait when someone non-tech-savvy bricks their HDM player with a firmware update CD (never know when a power outage might just rear its ugly head). Grrr....

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Can't talk for standalone BR players that don't have ethernet, but my Toshiba A1 has had no issue updating when I ask it too.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yeah, that's one of those things that worries me. And really, firmware update can fail w/out a power outtage too.

In general, I avoid it like the plague. :D I still haven't tried a firmware hack on my Denon SD player for region-free playback even though I had intended to do so when I bought it a year ago. And haven't done any firmware updates for our various cameras either. I'll get to the updates when I decide I absolutely need them -- and then, go for the most stable, feature-full updates when the time arrives. :D Same thing w/ anything Micro$oft puts out, including the latest version of IE. :D Don't fix what ain't broke. ;) :P

_Man_

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Hi Man,
Frankly, the whole idea of my doing the firmware update scares the hell out of me. Just too afraid of turning it into a brick! But, at least the manufacturer does provide updated firmware via cd on request. *whew*

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I have to wonder how many people have bricked or will brick their units because they don't even know that can happen????

Power outage, accidently hitting a button on the remote, corupt file, and so on... I am depressing myself now :frowning:

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Cheer up! owning an expensive paperweight can be considered a status symbol. :)

Seriously, all electronics with updateable firmware should be required to have a simple reset/restore to factory settings accessible by unbent paperclip.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hehheh. BTW, anyone know how the PS3 would do such a reset/restore (other than using the restore function *after* successful startup)? With all this talk of bricking the player, maybe I really should use a hard connection whenever I do a software update for the PS3, instead of using WiFi. :P I'm probably just asking for trouble using WiFi for that...
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

_Man_

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Does the PS3 stream the update directly, or does it download it and verify filesize and checksum before processing?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Maybe the B&M places should offer to upgrade the players to the latest revision before you take it home? That would be a nice service and a way to distiguish them from the online retailers.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

That would probably make too much sense. ;) :D I suggested something along those lines on a broader scale elsewhere. But I guess everyone can just pray that the situation will settle down soon enough so that this won't really be necessary anymore... :D

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Well, at least if they brick it at the point of purchase, you don't have to keep it and presumably won't incur whatever 15% restocking fee for it...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks