What's new

HD DVD Outpacing All Next-Gen Formats in Sales Growth (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"North American HD DVD Promotional Group today announced..."

Yes, finally some unbiased facts! :D

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Kind of like Sony announcing a price cut on one model only to find out the next day it was only a close out special. And the new model will be at the old price.:D
Just what do you expect from the organizations from either side of the show. All of the press releases may be based in fact, but lack substance to make any meaningful evaluation. We have proved beyond a doubt that you can twist numbers any way you want to make them support the outcome you are looking for Just look at the

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

You have a point. With stand-alone players (not including PS3 and Xbox 360), HD DVD should be in the lead, since they´re almost giving those players for free. ;)

Seriously, if I would be living in the US and cheaper Toshiba is under 250$ (it was just a few days ago in Amazon), I would probably buy it in a heartbeat. Then I could buy a couple of those Universal-titles. For that price, who cares if the format loses.. (uups. I just revealed the strategy of HD DVD, sorry.. ;) ).

With important software-sales, I guess the Blu-camp is ahead?

troy evans

Screenwriter
I think Tim was trying to share some positive HD DVD news.There's been a lot of positive Bluray news posted everywhere.What's the big deal.This goes back to the whole" Bluray does good that's okay,HD DVD does good no damn way"crap that seems to be all around.Bluray supporters need to deal with it the same way they expect HD DVD supporters to when the shoes on the other foot.I mean,"BS press release" or "It's posted in the wrong thread"arguements,is that all You got?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

If these figures indeed doesn´t include e.g. PS3 sales, then I would say that this is just HD DVD-camp and their propaganda. Sure, it can be "good news" for the fans, but if it´s not "news" in the first place.. ..

With the recent and current prices with Toshiba-players, they SHOULD lead the sales in stand-alone players (and also in game consoles - Xbox 360 has been on the markets forever and PS3 has just started..).

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
They were stating stand-alone numbers and excluded the PS3 and the HD DVD add-on.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Promotional Group, thats the first 2 words in Tims linked post. Both sides like to stir the pot, both like to make out like the winner. But still in my mind, i yawn when i look at the titles for the most part, on both sides. In 2 months i have 5 BD discs, but i bet i bought 10 standard DVDs. Most of those TV shows.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
The XBox 360 has been on the market for only 20 Months. This is hardly forever. The PS3, while only on the market for a bit over 8 months, it can hardly be called 'just started'.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'd punch myself in the face if I dropped serious coin on a Blu-Ray player just to watch upconverted DVD's.

An Oppo player would've been the cheaper and smarter buy.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If the PS3 was included in the comparison, would indeed the growth in sales from Q1 -> Q2 2007 outpace that of HD DVD players in the same period?

Cees

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I love my player. But i know where you come from. I have a friend who spent $1200 on a great Denon DVD player. I think he has a wonderful machine. But i spent $500 on a Sony Blu-Ray that looks as good as his Denon, its less than 1/2 what he payed, AND it players Blu-Ray. My Sony DVD player (7700), still my best player cost me $900 in, 98? I looked at the Oppo, and would have bought one if not for the lower price point of the new Blu players.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
It would be nice to see a press release from HD-DVD on their hopefully forthcoming "heavy hitter" 4th quarter releases - something with some substance fora change. I do agree that these press releases from BOTH CAMPS usually don't amount to a hill of beans. There seems to be a new one almost daily these days. I frankly would not put much stock in any of them.

Are you listening Mr. Hunt?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Ok, fair enough. I forgot my "Blu"-shades on. ;) I have no real desire joining to the game console-debate. It´s for the 16-years old, with pimples. But I´ll say this: Xbox 360 won´t lead because of the HD DVD. Xbox is for the gamers and if it´s leading PS3, it´s because the gamers chose that. That "HD DVD add-on for Xbox 360 is the cheapest way to get HD" is old argument now. Gone, and soon forgotten.

I was just wondering that since HD DVD has better sales (with stand-alone players at least), why they don´t also lead in the software front then? I mean like I said with some other thread, I could buy that Toshiba-player, but software is another issue. Since I have more faith on Blu-ray, I would still buy everything (well, at least most) in Blu - even if I would have two formats.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
As long as the press releases are about frigging upcoming titles, I'm all for it. Otherwise wake me up after the PR noise calms down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks