What's new

HD DVD new Audio (1 Viewer)

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys

If you buy the new HD DVDs that are coming out, won't you have to rebuy them once the new Dolby Digital and DTS formats come out for HD DVD?

Thank in advance.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
once they come out? many hd-dvds have a dolby digital plus track, and some have a Dolby TrueHD track. The latest update (2.0) for the Toshiba A1 player enables 5.1 TrueHD decoding--previously, the players were limited to stereo mixdowns of TrueHD. I'm not sure about the advanced dts stuff.

Dave>h

Second Unit
I guess three is certainly the chance that a future double dip is out there if you want advanced audio codec on a particular disk. However, as I understand it, the Toshiba player already has the "guts" needed to do advanced DTS decoding, it is just a firmware upgrade that is needed to enable it.

I could be mistaken on this but that is what I am lead to believe.

Dave

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Oh I have no doubt that there will be future double dipping for both HD-DVD and Bluray formats. The same thing happend with with SD-DVD when they released DD versions only to have DTS version come out later.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Why not. It's a sure money maker. There are alot of us suckers out here that buy every new release that comes out. Heck, most of my families DVD collection is made up of my older hand me downs.:laugh:

It is a terrible thing to have an obsession...

Thomas Eisenmann

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Prevent HD double dipping:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ghlight=double
To review;
If you buy a title without DTS Master, then when that titles is released again with DTS Master and you buy it, then it will indeed be a double dip.
However, if you don't purchase HD titles w/o lossless, then when the title is released with lossless, you can prevent the dreaded double dip.
Once you've got a high bit rate (avoid 16 bit) lossless soundtrack, your pretty much set as far as audio goes!
(remember 24/48 is equal to DVD-A [although, DVD-A also used 96 & 192 sample rates])

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
So from what everyone one says, I should be ok. I think I will for the models to come out later this year, then I should be safe. Hopefuly.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will be loading up on DTS-HD Bluray discs for when I fineally can purchase a Bluray player with HDMI 1.3. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
What about when they have discrete 7.1 soundtracks? Not only will we have to "double-dip" the movies but wouldn't we also have to buy either new players with 8 ch analog outputs or new receivers that accept the 7.1 stream through optical or coax?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Ether a new player with 7/8 channel analogs or HDMI 1.3. Ether way the fact that the current players that are coming out do not include HDMI 1.3 sucks. :frowning:

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but doesn't the new Toshiba HD-XA2 include HDMI 1.3?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Yes, the HD-XA2 does have 1.3, though the HD-A2 only has 1.2. So you will have to pay close to $1000 to get 1.3 on HD-DVD. Sad really, but probably still much better than the Samsung Blu-Ray player.

Is is possible to have a firmware update to upgrade to 1.3 on current players, or is that a hardware issue?

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
HDMI 1.3 is a hardward issue. It uses a completely different chipset. All of the PS3s will include HDMI 1.3 also.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Yes it will have HDMI 1.3 something that the first generation players did not have. And with HDMI being hardware and not based on software the only way to get it will be to buy new players, again. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks