HD-DVD choice

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Fernalfer, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Fernalfer

Fernalfer Agent

I have a Samsung 1080p HS-5087W. I want a HD-DVD player but would something like the XA-1 look good at only out putting 10801. Or would it be a waist.

I just don't want to spend that kind of money for the XA-2 just because it out puts 1080p. Would i even notice the difference on a 50inch?

I just don't want buy the XA-1 and months later have to go get the XA-2. But i also don't want to spend the money on the XA_2.

-So would the XA-1 suffice for now?
    -Or should i wait for the XA-2 to come down in price?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

My HD-A1 looks fan-friggin-tastic outputting 1080i. I'm told that there's effectively no difference between 1080i and 1080p for film-speed data such as what is stored on an HD-DVD.

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Like Jason said: 1080 = 1080. It doesn't matter in what order the lines are put in place in your TV's display memory - as long as they are put in the right place. [​IMG]

I just received my new Samsung 1920x1080 full-HD TV set and stayed up last night doing some ( [​IMG] ) comparative tests. I can tell you: as to be expected, there's no visible difference whatsoever PQ-wise between 1080i and 1080p, certainly not if it comes from a HD DVD (or a BD). All you need is: to be sure that the TV set can handle 1080i input (and I would be surprised if it couldn't, to say it mildly).

I have the HD-A1, and the image on my Samsung (1080p too!) is stunning. So will yours be!

Cees

4. Fernalfer

Fernalfer Agent

I have the panasonics52s Upconvert DVD player which upconverts to 1080i. It does a pretty good job and the picture quality is great with regular DVD's.

Is the quality of an HD-DVD player really that much better then an upconvert DVD player like mine.

I just want to justify the advantages before i buy.

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Some people, who had an upconverter DVD player, say the Toshiba is one of the best. I can only say it's a very good image and I was able to compare it to the VP50, which is a rather expensive and versatile video-processor. The image of the HD-A1 when upconverting an SD DVD to 1080i is as good as the VP50's when it does 1080i or -p.

I compared an image of an SD DVD upgraded by the HD-A1 to an image output as 480i by the HD-A1 and upgraded by the VP50 (after each other, not next to each other).
    If the last one was better, I couldn't really notice it, or tell for sure.

So, my guess is (but the proof in the pudding is in the eating here too), that the upconverted image of the HD-XA1 (or -A2) will probably be better than your DVD-player's, and at least certainly not worse.

Bottom line: you don't throw away your current DVD player (at least not before you're satisfied the HD DVD player is up to the job of replacing it [​IMG] ), and you can be sure that your current DVD collection will not lose any of it's worth when you buy a HD DVD player.

Cees