What's new

HD-DVD/BR playback on the PC? (A trip down memory lane) (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
the road that i took to DVD wasn't via a standalone player. i think it was around march of 2000. i felt there wasn't a DVD player that had all the features i wanted at a reasonable price. Pioneer's 588 wasn't out yet. so i went modular and decided that a $80-100 (Toshiba 6x!) DVDROM was worth my aggravation. boy it was awesome, when i first played back DVD on the PC. it was better than many of the demos at local HT stores! =).

i'm thinking the same might happen to me when i upgrade to HD-DVD/BR. i might get a drive in and play it back on the PC. the problem is that i'll need to upgrade my display to handle HDCP (sticking with dell, either a 3007 or 2407). that alone costs a fortune. then i'll need a video card w/HDCP-rom onboard. that's another fortune =). so i'm thinking, i waited 3 years from 1997-2000 to get on the DVD wagon. might i not do so again this time around? that means i aim to upgrade by 2009 =). of course, in addition to the costs of the gear upgrades is there are 2 formats!

i hope HD doesnt disappear and will stay around as long as DVD has!

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I'm thinking of taking this route as well, I already have a couple of home made HTPC's. However, will probably have to wait until the HD Drives become more affordable. $1000 is just a little too high right now.

Eric F

Screenwriter
The drive in the Toshiba HD-DVD is IDE and it works under XP just fine.

Problem is there is no movie software that currently supports playback. Toshiba does have plans to sell the drive serparately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks