What's new

HD-DVD and Standard DVD Combo list: (1 Viewer)

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa
I hope we can make this an official list of combo DVD's for those that are waiting on HD, but would like to have some software ready for the switch. Feel free to add / ammend.

Available now:
16 Blocks (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Accepted (HD-30 / DVD-9)
An American Werewolf in London (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Ant Bully, The (HD-30/DVD-9)
Army of Darkness (HD-15 / DVD-9)
A.T.L. (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Breakfast Club, The (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Break-up, The (HD-30 / DVD-9)
Brokeback Mountain (HD-30 / DVD-9)
Dazed & Confused (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Departed, The (HD-30 / DVD-9)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Firewall (HD-15 / DVD-5)
Good Night, and Good Luck (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Half-Baked (HD-15 / DVD-9)
HDScape Antarctica Dreaming (HD-15 / DVD-5 [?])
HDScape Exotic Saltwater Aquarium (HD-15 / DVD-5 [?])
HDScape Fireplace (HD-15 / DVD-5 [?])
Hollywoodland (HD-30 / DVD-9)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Jet Li’s Fearless (HD-30 / DVD-9 [?])
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Land of the Dead (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Lady In the Water (HD-30 / DVD-9)
Lake House, The (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Miami Vice (HD-30 / DVD-9)
National Lampoon’s Animal House (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Rumor Has It… (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Scorpion King, The (HD-30 / DVD-9)
Slither (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Superman Returns (HD-30 / DVD-9)
Unleashed (HD-15 / DVD-9)
Waist Deep (HD-15 / DVD-9)
You, Me & Dupree (HD-30 / DVD-9)

Future:
Failure to Launch (?)
Good Shepherd, The (3/06/07) (HD-30 / DVD-9[?])
Happy Feet (3/27/07) (HD-30 / DVD-9[?])
HDscape HD DVD Sampler (2/27/07) (HD-15 / DVD-5 [?])
HDScapeVisions of the Sea: Explorations (2/27/07) (HD-15 / DVD-5 [?])
Children of Men (3/27/07) (HD-30 / DVD-9 [?])
Jerk, The (4/17/07) (HD-30 / DVD-9[?])
Nutty Professor, The (1996) (4/24/07) (HD-30 / DVD-9[?])
D.V.E.(Date TBA) (HD-30 / DVD-9[?])
Alpha Dog (5/1/07) (HD-30 / DVD-9[?])
Hitcher, The (2006) (5/1/07) (HD-30 / DVD-9[?])

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
something to keep in mind...

Most, if not all, of the combos listed are HD-15/DVD-5... single sided, both sides.

In essence, by purchasing them, you are buying what was first generation DVD technology, something none of us would accept in todays world.

You get a crappy SD DVD transfer (compressed into a single layer), AND a compromised HD single layer as well.

In essence, with worst of both worlds, for the sake of convenience.

There is an upcoming change to the standard which will allow for HD-30/DVD-5, AFAIK or perhaps it's even HD-30/DVD-9. This of course assumes that all the issues with DVD-18 have been solved (NOT!!!!)

In summary, the list above should exist solely as a master list of titles to avoid, for either HD or SD use.

blech :frowning:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have the combo discs of Rumor Has It, Firewall, ATL, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and 16 Blocks and the standard DVD sides are dual-layer; in fact they're exactly the same as the standard DVD-only releases. The HD sides are single-layer, but as far as I know any extensive bonus material is only on the regular DVD side, and a single HD layer seems to be enough for these movies. I don't yet have anything to play those on yet however, and probably won't until they make more of the players that play both HD formats and the prices on them go down. I've heard some of the newer titles are also dual-layer on the HD sides.

I like the idea of these because I've been avoiding any titles on regular DVD that are on either of the HD formats. With these I can watch them on what I've got now, then watch them in HD when I finally upgrade my equipment without having to buy the same movies over again.

My gripe about these is that there's NO printing on the regular DVD side, so you've got no label to speak of when you put them in a regular DVD player and you'd have no label if you were to keep them in the case with that side facing up. Strangely a lot of 2-sided discs are made this way now, I've even seen some older Warner titles (with both pan and scan or "Standard" as they like to call it, and widescreen versions) re-done with printing only on side A, saying "Reverse side widescreen". As if the labeling wasn't minimal enough when they had printing on both sides.

Rolando

Screenwriter

This is one of my main "gripes" as well with these combo discs. I won't go into detail again as I already have in the conversation with Universal thread. Just glad to hear I am not alone with these concerns.

The ONE combo disc I own is American Werewolf in London since I did not have the SD of this. Still wish it wasn't a combo. However the SD-DVD side is indeed dual layered and has all the extras of the single SD-DVD release including DTS as a sound option.

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa
Added disc capacities. Removed Field of Dreams and Poseidon as these were announced as combo discs, but released HD-DVD only.

CameronMcC

Second Unit
i was going to buy the departed on HD-dvd for this reason, but the scorcese on scorcese seems to be only on the HD side, and disc 2 of the SE standard dvd...so i'll go with that for now and rebuy later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks