HD-DVD and Mitsubishi 55819

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bruce White, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Bruce White

Bruce White Stunt Coordinator

OK, we all know Blu-Ray won. I'm now kind of interested in picking up an inexpensive HD-DVD player just to make my regular DVDs look better. When Blu-Ray is less expensive, I'll get a Blu-Ray player and very selectively upgrade some of my DVDs to Blu-Ray.

Here is my question, though. My Mitsubishi WS 55819 RPTV has no HDMI input. There is a DTV input in the back through which I watch OTA HD-TV. With an HD-DVD player (say the Toshiba HD-A3), can I upconvert my regular DVDs to 1080i through the DTV input on my TV? I assume I can use the DTV input to watch a real HD-DVD with this player, but it is the upconversion I'm wondering about.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Bruce

2. Bruce White

Bruce White Stunt Coordinator

Bump.

Anyone?

3. Martino

Martino Supporting Actor

Martin O.
    I was looking at doing the same thing (getting a HD-DVD player just to upconvert) - but it is actually cheaper to get an upconverting normal DVD player, so I deceded not to. Also, after reading some of the reviews, the cheap HD-DVD player seems to have a long load time. Sorry that isn't much help with your specific question...but I would recommend you check out regular, upconverting players instead of the HD-DVD player...

4. Dave>h

Dave>h Second Unit

Hi,

Is DTV the same as DVI? Or is it a different connection altogether?

If it is the same as DVI, then yes you can upconvert by using a HDMI to DVI cable or adapter.

Not sure if that helps. I think the newer HD DVD players have better load times and great upconversion. For what it is worth.

Dave