HD DVD 3X better BLU-RAY 6 X better

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JeffdDurborow, Oct 16, 2006.

1. JeffdDurborow

has anyone seen the signs used in TARGET describing the new HD DVD Discs
    and BLU-RAY discs...they mention the xbox 360 hd add on on the hd add
    and PS3 on the Blu-ray add (sign)...along with a few other "facts?"
    like.....
    HD DVD 3 times better than normal dvd
    BLU-RAY 6 times better Picture than standard dvd...

anyone else see this..maybe i misread??

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

and the difference justifies the price?

AFAIK, both media allow for 1080p video. Some players may be limited to 1080i, but it's not clear that it makes a difference when coupled with a good 3-2 pullldown.

1920*540/(720*480)=3
    1920*1080/(720*480)=6

3. RobertDW

RobertDW Stunt Coordinator

The sign is totally misleading. It is referring to disc capacity and thus assuming HD DVD is 15GB and BD is 25GB when we all know the HD DVD have from the launch been dual layer 30GB.

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    WoW! That's totally misleading!

5. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Once again SONY with the spin machine in full force...

HD-DVD troops are just not stepping up to get the true word out....

Best Buy..... Target...... Curcuit City..... etc.....

This happend to ReplayTV.... a much better DVR....

TIVO turned on the marketing machine... and away they went!

Dugger

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I guess we can see what side of the fence Target is on. If this HD war plays out that BD is the loser, no one will remember that ridiculous and misleading advertisement. That can certainly get the J6Ps to believe there's a justification for the huge price difference between the two formats. What a bunch of mopes at Target.

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

It doesn't matter if Bluray players can display twice as many pixels, if artifacts cut that advantage down to size. (and yes, it's pixels, not gigabytes. You can check my math, if you'd like)

It's like PBS-HD-- still images are nice and sharp, but shots with motion are a blur of macroblocks. (My local station does HD + 3SD, full time. Sometimes, I must scream)

8. Ryan-G

Ryan-G Supporting Actor

I think what they're commenting on, IIRC, is that the HD-DVD drive is limited to 1080i output, while the BR in PS3 does full 1080p. I don't think the HD-DVD drive has the bandwidth to do 1080p, though I'm not sure if the bottleneck is the USB interface or the video cables. USB 1.0 doesn't have the bandwidth, not sure if USB 2.0 does.

9. RobertDW

The HD DVD and BD discs are both encoded at 1080p at 24hz so obviously the HD DVD drive must read the disc thus the drive is not limited to 1080i. BR as you say or BD does not do "full 1080p", both the the Samsung and now the Panasonic BD players drive reads the BD discs and internally output 1080i and internally de-interlace the 1080i signal to 1080p which is exactly the same as any 1080p display will do when using the HD DVD player. USB has nothing to do with the HD DVD players as they output via HDMI.

BTW there will be a 1080p output Toshiba player the HD-XA2 out in Dec. On a good 1080p display there is zero difference in picture quality between 1080i and 1080p.

10. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Not too surprising. We've already seen that stores make more $$ from a single Blu-ray player than a HD-DVD player. And since both HD player sales are still at a relatively low volume they're trying to make the most money they can per square foot of retail space. If that involves confusing people over an already confusing (to some) format war then so be it. [​IMG] But to be fair all stores appear to be doing similar things. How many times have you heard a sales person at Best Buy giving completely wrong advice either for or against one of the formats?

11. JeffdDurborow

so you guys have seen this as well???

im lost with the marketing and advertising here..mostly advertising..

here we a have two rows of movies "In the dvd section"
    one side you got hd-dvd
    one side you have the blu-ray

you have your descriptive signs that talk of the technology and i never see them speak of resolution...to me they use the reference of each disc's capacity and leave the consumer to assume the higher the number of capacity the greater the picture quality..
    again im back to questioning the customer who just wants to watch a superior quality high def movie. if he cared how much data he could fit on that disc he would be over in the computer section..

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Which in a way reminds me of DTS.
    After Dolby developed Dolby Digital, the DTS-engineers apparently weren't able to design a coded with the same results at the same level of compression, so they simply needed more disk space.

And then.. apart from those who really listened to the results (and of course we must give proper credit to those who judged by their ears), many consumers simply believed the disadvantage to be an advantage: it has less compression, so it must be better! The "automatic" argument was actually used rather often, much to my surprise.

Cees

13. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

dts and dolby digital have differing ideas of what data to throw out. It's kind of confusing, really. A good many codecs starve the frequencies above 15 kHz, since most adults can't hear high frequencies too well, yet dvd-a and sacd recordings have loads of high frequency data.

I've heard it stated that dts is not (as much) a perceptual codec.

14. Ryan-G

Ryan-G Supporting Actor

Um, from what I've read the HD-DVD drive that MS is using will not include an HDMI port, limiting output to component only.

Further, the drive connects to the X-box 360 via a USB port, making it a potentially limiting factor. I'd don't know what the sustained throughput of USB 2.0 is, but it's entirely possible that USB 2.0 isn't capable of sustaining transfer rates of sufficient speed to support 1080p + (sound).

I think you might have misunderstood that I was discussing the HD-DVD drive add-on for the X-box 360.

15. RobertDW

The HD DVD drive for the xBox can output via component video or VGA (for 1080p output). Also the bandwidth for USB2 is about 380mbps more than fast enough.

16. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

I believe it says the HD-DVD disc has 3x, BD 6x MORE STORAGE CAPABILITY...

17. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

HD-DVD has more storage capability than 3X standard DVD. They are already talking about doing a 45 gb triple layer disc to compete with the BD 50 gb. This is probably just a way for them to market their product better, but that sign is completely misleading.

18. ppltd

ppltd Producer

19. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

A minor point but curious if there are different signs: in my Target it seems to say Blu-ray has 5x the storage capacity. Since HD-DVD currently maxes out at 30GB and Blu-ray at 50GB, the sign is correct, even if misleading as to its relevance to picture quality.

20. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

My Target sign does as well... Sorry, mis-typed. I do agree it is misleading.