What's new

HD distribution from DBS (1 Viewer)

audiomaster

Auditioning
Real Name
J Probst
I am trying to help an elderly neighbor widow lower her expenses. She has both Time Warner cable and Dish now but would prefer only Dish to save money. She has a total of 7 HD displays in the home and I would like to distribute the output of a Dish 722 DVR to all. The unit will control via RF remotes but she only has RG6 wiring to all the sets, which works for the cable but the output from the 722 on coax is not HD? Is there a way to convert the HDMI or component outs to a coax connection signal that she can receive on her digital tuners in the sets? I have read about a modulator made by ZEE VEE Box but it is over $1000.00! And the labor to install HDMI cables to all locations from a HDMI splitter would be excessive and I don't know if it would work anyway as she has 4 different brands of TV? She is not techno savvy and wants something simple like her Dish 211s that just works. She only needs to watch oneprogram at any time as she is the pnly one in the house but would like to be able to record a second show, which the 722 will allow. Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is there a way to convert the HDMI or component outs to a coax connection signal that she can receive on her digital tuners in the sets?
It's called a modulator. You found it. Wow!!! The price has really dropped. It was about $5,000 the last time I looked at it. I did find the ChannelPlus 5415HD which is about $500.

audiomaster

Auditioning
Real Name
J Probst
It looks like the 5415hd only goes to 720P which would be ok for the size screens she has. But it is component only in. Does Dish "downrez" the component output on some programs? A modulator with HDMI input would probably be safer lng term? Have you or anyone had any experoencd with either of these units in home distribution? Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They are both out of my price range. I run HDMI from my DVRs to my projector but use the component video from the DVRs to the TV in the living room. It's only 35 feet so there is no loss in quality. I only have 2 TVs so modulation is not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks